Hot Rod Forum banner

what ford engine is this?

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
I bought a ford small block yesterday,it's been sitting in a shop since left there 3 yrs ago. it has scorpion roller rockers & an edelbrock performer intake. My question is;the casting #'s on the block are top 21 second row e69e & under that BA. I couldn't find that casting #. does anyone know what block this is?:confused: Tom

#7 · (Edited)
. The Windsor engines have a Wet intake manifold... i.e. upper radiator hose goes horizontally into front of intake manifold... the Cleveland family (351C, 351M, 400) has that hose diving down into front of block...

. 221-302W has a narrower intake manifold, 351W has a wider intake manifold on a taller block...

. 351M built into taller 400" block... most external parts interchange with shorter block 351C...

. EB3E looks like some kind of 302" Windsor...

#8 ·
Ford changed the block codes in the mid 80's your code indicates a 1986 Block, 1987-90's all had a E7 code if the code on the heads is also E6 they are not a good choice for a build.1986 was an odd year some of the E6 blocks used in trucks and vans still had flat tappet cams most Mustangs were roller cam,if you pull the intake you can tell the picture below shows a roller cam valley.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Hard to tell by the picture but it looks like a 302 Windsor to me.

Did you read the link I posted? There are easy visual indicators to look for to differentiate between the 302 and 351 Windsor.

302 intakes are about 9" wide and 351W's are about 11".

351 intakes sit about 1" above the distributor base on the block.

You can also see on this picture the bottom t stat bolt is above the top edge of the water pump. The 302's lower t sate bolt is lower so you can't get a socket on the bolt.

#11 · (Edited)
. It's obviously some kind of Windsor or Clevor from the upper radiator hose location... 6 valve cover bolts says Windsor heads, eliminates Clevors...

. Intake looks might be wide enough to be a 351W... it prolly says "351W" under "Edelbrock" cast on that intake manifold if it is... no size shown prolly means it's for 221-302 size engines...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.