Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what is this FORD rear end called?
View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
cobalt327 cobalt327 is offline
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,031
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 616 Times in 565 Posts
I tend to agree that it's a 9". The 9-3/8" 3rd. member has (at least the ones I have seen) a downward curve to the topmost horizontal cast-in reinforcement rib. I once pulled one of these out of a hearse we had in our 'yard thinking it was a 9", spent the best part of a day digging a spider hole to work down under the damned thing (I was like 12 at the time). Finally got it out and hauled up to the shop. My Dad just shook his head.

The housing has two different ends on it: one earlier, one later.
Reply With Quote