Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what is this FORD rear end called?
View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM
big gear head's Avatar
big gear head big gear head is offline
High Performance Rear Ends
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central City, KY
Posts: 3,042
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 52
Thanked 1,257 Times in 979 Posts
It's a 9 inch, not the 9 3/8. I've got several of the 9 3/8 chunks and cobalt is right about the top rib turning down at the end. That is either the WAR or WAB case, which are the weakest of all the 9 inch cases. The '57 to '64 9 inch rear ends were not as strong as the '65 and later rear ends. The housings got stronger in '65 and the later cases had more material around the pinion pilot bearing.
Reply With Quote