What Front Shocks for a Softer Ride? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What Front Shocks for a Softer Ride?

I drive a '28 Ford rat rod with a dropped tube axle, spring behind setup. The front shocks are currently Pro Street Rod shocks (non-coil over). These shocks are inexpensive ($35 each), very small, and I don't believe gas filled (correct me here if I'm wrong). Ride height mounted length is 9 inches, compressed length is 7.5 inches, and open extended length is 10.5 inches.

I don't think these shocks are doing a very good job at this point (I inherited them--I didn't choose them). The front appears stiff and doesn't take bumps too well.

I would be interested in getting better shocks that give a smoother, softer ride to the front end. I'm not Money Bags (I wish!), but I think I could afford going into the $200 range for a good pair of shocks if necessary.

Recommendations? Would a coil-over setup in front be worth the cost? Adjustable would be nice, but... I'm really at a lost of what shocks I should be looking for to get a smoother ride.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds to me taht your spring rate is too high. You need softer springs, not softer shocks. Adjustable coil overs may be the way to go.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 AM

If the front is bouncing up and down when you hit bumps I would say the shocks are a problem. If the ride is very stiff take a leaf out of the spring assembly.

Bob
Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 PM

I had a 55 ford pu and had redone the rear springs. The rear end is very light and is effected by the shock you put on it. I found the red rider gaberial shocks were very stiff and that the monroe shocks were the easist on the ride. These were actually NAPA shocks made by monroe that worked very good. The softest ride came from some mexico or twiwan straight hydralic shock ( not gas shocks) that I found at a parts house for 3 or 4 dollars apiece. These rode the best.

Too stiff of a shock can cause havic on your rear end, not the cars.

If you can, take the shocks off go around the block(be careful and go slow) and see how it rides.

You can physically push down on the shock and feel the resistance and compare that way.

You can also get shocks for street rods. I think they may be a little softer dampend.

Call Monroe , the shock people and discuss your problem with them. They will want to know your shock measurements and they will help you.

Jimmy in nc

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.