Hot Rod Forum banner

what front springs to use

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  proge 
#1 ·
I have a 56 chev car with a modified 350.I have the old style traction bars on the rear, which I want to keep.The question is the front springs are probably the original 6 cylinder springs.They have the old style twist in spring spacers to level it out.I want to replace the front springs with something for better weight transfer an maybe ride better.Should I just get v-8 springs for the 56 or does someone else have a better idea.I dont know if a 350 is much heavier than a 283. Give me some ideas. thanks proge

#5 ·
proge said:
I have heard that all fullsize chev front springs through 1971 will fit. Does anybody know if this is true thanks proge
They may all physically fit, but, I know for a fact that my 59 had at least four different sets of springs available for it.

These all different rates--wire diameter--number of coils.

If 55-71 will install in the pockets---that gives you a great variety of choices.

Personally, I would use the 56 v-8 coil for a convertable.

This might give a slightly lower ride height(maybe not), and would support the SBC. Quite possible have a stiffer rate for a firmer ride in the lighter HT/Sed cars.

Just a thought

Bryan

#9 ·
BillyShope said:
This might be the time to consider adjustable coilovers, particularly if you think you might be taking an occasional trip down the quarter mile. With adjustable coilovers, you can go to different spring rates, left-to-right, and equalize rear tire loading on launch. See Page 7 on my blog:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
I dont know anything about adjustable coilover,What do you have to do to install them. thanks phik

#10 ·
Coilovers are not a "bolt on" for a '56 Chevy. Heidt uses Aldan coilovers on his custom units. In other words, it's going to take some fabrication work. Don't know if Heidt would be willing to work with you, but Aldan should be cooperative. There must be someone who posts here who's done up a tri-five with coilovers.

Incidentally, I've redone that page on my blog (dealing with front spring rates) and it's now much more user friendly.

#11 ·
BillyShope said:
Coilovers are not a "bolt on" for a '56 Chevy. Heidt uses Aldan coilovers on his custom units. In other words, it's going to take some fabrication work. Don't know if Heidt would be willing to work with you, but Aldan should be cooperative. There must be someone who posts here who's done up a tri-five with coilovers.

Incidentally, I've redone that page on my blog (dealing with front spring rates) and it's now much more user friend

#12 ·
proge said:
BillyShope said:

Incidentally, I've redone that page on my blog (dealing with front spring rates) and it's now much more user friend
I think I will just get some new front springs and some adjustable shocks.I will probably have to wait till next year to try on the track. thanks proge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.