What IS gas mileage? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Last journal entry: before picture
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ya a friend of mine also mentioned the synthetic chassis lube. I already run Mobil 1 gold cap oil. I have the timing at 8 or 10 BTC initial and I think I did put a curve kit in the HEI. I noticed a huge power increase with the timing advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

"if you are the kind of driver that zooms up behind a slower vehicle.. stands on the brakes.. thinks about a lane change, then stands back on the throttle to make the pass, your mpg's are going to be a lot lower over all" WOW that's exactly how I drive. Old habits are hard to break plus we have a stop light about every block in this town and they always seem to be red. I clocked a yellow to red light the other day at 2.5 seconds. That seems sudden to me. I used to have a 74 Caprice that had a 400 2bbl and that engine had a ton of torque...
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

SO anyway I have been driving it for a while. Performer intake and Q-jet made a noticeable difference in mileage. I changed to all synthetic fluids.
I also notice a small drip from the gas tank and I think it's been that way for about a year at least because of a trail I saw in the rain once. After I get a new gas tank I'll see what the mileage is like. Picture of finished truck...

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...e/truk/cat/500

Last edited by RAYFIN; 02-03-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYFIN View Post
Built lots of hot rods and know how to make power BUT now I'm building a really light weight 83 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 to use as a shop truck for my upholstery business. I am looking to build it for great gas milage, mostly around town. We need 4wd in Iowa.
I am looking for engine suggestions. I have a stock 350 with ramhorn exhaust and an edelbrock 600 right now. I also have a performer intake and a quadrajet I'm thinking of using. Weight will be about -1000 pounds. TH350 2.56 gears. Part time 4wd with lockouts. Runs great and I got it CHEAP.
LOw budget but if I can get better milage it may pay to make major mods. My 90 efi chevy SUCKS gas.
If you want to save gas join the community over at Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com they know how to save gas, they know it like a drag racer knows getting another tenth of a second out of his car. I use to spend a lot of time on that forum and learned a TON of stuff I never imagined before.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
64SS327 (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I find keeping the tires at 38psi does wonders for mpg.
The block heater is a good idea it cost pennies a day and save tons of fuel.. as it not stay on the choke, and you'll not have it idle'n warming up. it'll be start it and go..(after you unplug the heater) grease able u joints and a shot of grease every 6 weeks..
look at newer trucks there is a rubber filler between cab and bed.. to keep air going down side of truck makes a huge difference.
keep tailgate up, and no tono cover

A buddy put a belly pan under the full lenth of his reg cab 8 foot bed truck.. and picked up 5mpg !!!!!!!!just closing off the bed to bottom of bumper(if it has one) will stop the rear bumper from becoming a mini chute..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
The brand of tires can make a HUGE difference! I was very surprised to see how much of a difference when I put new tires on my SHO. I had a few coasting spots where I would coast many blocks, and knew exactly how much I could go starting at a certain speed. I put new tires on it and it changed dramatically loosing a full block!

And driving style can make as big a difference as anything. In a study I did I lost 20% fuel economy driving aggressive, not crazy nut job aggressive, just aggressive like I use to before I got into hypermiling, like pushing stop lights and tailgating and driving 5 mph over the speedlimit. I gained 20 seconds on average to my location that was 5.5 miles away and lost 20% fuel economy!

Brian
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The brand of tires can make a HUGE difference! I was very surprised to see how much of a difference when I put new tires on my SHO. I had a few coasting spots where I would coast many blocks, and knew exactly how much I could go starting at a certain speed. I put new tires on it and it changed dramatically loosing a full block!

And driving style can make as big a difference as anything. In a study I did I lost 20% fuel economy driving aggressive, not crazy nut job aggressive, just aggressive like I use to before I got into hypermiling, like pushing stop lights and tailgating and driving 5 mph over the speedlimit. I gained 20 seconds on average to my location that was 5.5 miles away and lost 20% fuel economy!

Brian
my '04 z71 got better mile per gallon at 75 than at 65, 85 was as good as the 65 speed limit.. steady 45mph was the sweet spot as it was just off idle and the 5.3 has enough oats down there to not lug when you get to an incline
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I find keeping the tires at 38psi does wonders for mpg.
The block heater is a good idea it cost pennies a day and save tons of fuel.. as it not stay on the choke, and you'll not have it idle'n warming up. it'll be start it and go..(after you unplug the heater) .
What!!
You're supposed to unplug it.
I forgot once!
My 100 foot cord was only 3 feet long after 5 miles.
I wondered what that noise was!! LOL!!
The Following User Says Thank You to RWENUTS For This Useful Post:
RAYFIN (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I've been building high gas mileage vehicles for decades and I think there are a number of measures you can take before engine work that will return better mileage. WEIGHT is a major contributor to gas consumption. Imagine how much better mileage modern performance cars would get with out all the weight they now possess.A new Mustang weighs as much( really more) than a '69 428CJ Mach I. Everytime you leave a stop that weight is aggarvating the fuel consumption. Before I attempted to get more out of the engine I'd dump as much unneeded weight as possible.If you could lose 500lbs in a 3500 lb vehicle that would likely contribute as much to better mileage as engine changes. If you need 4 wheel drive look into manual lock out hubs and depending on the transfer case you might be able to get some internals that help as well. When it comes to engine mods, I'd focus on ignition and one of the newer self learning TBIs being offered by a number of companies. Electronic ignition and the FI addition will help to keep the state of tune to a higher degree.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Even with new tires if the same brand and style should increase your coasting distance
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRoy1978 View Post
high gears, overdrive....and a VERY conservative throttle foot.

OR....

You could just buy a car thats ment to get mileage, say an import from the 80's, most could be bought for under 2 grand, and get over 40 mpg.
x2

69 chevy van 307/4speed on column = 10 mpg
1991 honda CRX HF =45 mpg.
paid $1800 for the honda... got my gas savings in 2 weeks(driving 1,000/week)
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYFIN View Post
Built lots of hot rods and know how to make power BUT now I'm building a really light weight 83 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 to use as a shop truck for my upholstery business. I am looking to build it for great gas milage, mostly around town. We need 4wd in Iowa.
I am looking for engine suggestions. I have a stock 350 with ramhorn exhaust and an edelbrock 600 right now. I also have a performer intake and a quadrajet I'm thinking of using. Weight will be about -1000 pounds. TH350 2.56 gears. Part time 4wd with lockouts. Runs great and I got it CHEAP.
LOw budget but if I can get better milage it may pay to make major mods. My 90 efi chevy SUCKS gas.
I'm surprised you say your 90 EFI sucks gas. That would be if a 305 or 350 swirl port headed, throttle body injected engine with either a 5 speed manual or 700R4 automatic. This is a combination that should get pretty good mileage and certainly should do a quantum better at it than a 4x4 with Th350 auto and a 350 with a carb.

The 90 has most everything I would recommend you put on the 4x4, the reason is that's the combination that gets good mileage. Stating with the trans if a 700R4 it has a deep low for getting moving from a stop without having to push the throttle though the floor. It has an overdrive and lock up converter for dropping the revs at a freeway cruise for good mileage. This is a much better solution than Th350 and 2.56 gears. A carb just can't keep up over time with EFI. Carbs are just plain sloppy at metering and cannot make adjustments for wear of themselves nor the engine which the EFI does for itself.

For the most part what you can do with a carbed engine and a 3 speed automatic to improve mileage is so costly there is no reasonable payback period, especially with a 4x4.

Bogie
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

better mileage..

Not going to happen with a 4x4, best thing is synthetic lubes, and weight as mentioned, also that gear ratio is to much highway, would be better with around a 3.08 ratio. have to get the big heavy truck moving. Good luck you will need it with a 4x4.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Duct tape a raw egg under your gas pedal.
You'll be amazed at your new gas millage.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

gas milage

read your post have suggestion

if 350 has flat tops in it, or put 383 flat top stocker together, roller cam, gut port to gasket, put on propane, water inject, and hydrogen drip.
you wont even bother figuring out gas milage. my binder will go calgary to spokane $27.00 fuel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85PICT0009aa.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	119097  

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.