What gear would you choose? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 630
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What gear would you choose?

I have a 62 Box Nova solid axle gasser that currently is equipped with a 2 speed power glide, and a 12 bolt rear sporting 456 gears and 28" tires. Obviously a drag race set up, but I like to cruise my cars on the street within a 10-15 mile radius of my home.

Larger tires are out of the question, and so is a tranny swap to t TH400, so that being said, which rear end gear ratio would you choose for 85% street use 15% drag use?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,209
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,393
Thanked 648 Times in 472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat
I have a 62 Box Nova solid axle gasser that currently is equipped with a 2 speed power glide, and a 12 bolt rear sporting 456 gears and 28" tires. Obviously a drag race set up, but I like to cruise my cars on the street within a 10-15 mile radius of my home.

Larger tires are out of the question, and so is a tranny swap to t TH400, so that being said, which rear end gear ratio would you choose for 85% street use 15% drag use?

On a car set up like that... With A 28'' tall tire...for the street,I would go with 373: gears..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 630
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
On a car set up like that... With A 28'' tall tire...for the street,I would go with 373: gears..

Thats what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
Yada Yada Yada
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,211
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 389 Times in 383 Posts
The powerglide needs a stiff rear gear. If you never get further than 15 miles from home with it. leave the 4.56's in it.

I bet they aren;t even enough for the track.

A th350 will fit with a bit of floor tunnel mods. Its not that hard.

A racey motor wants to rev. Let it rev.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 630
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
The powerglide needs a stiff rear gear. If you never get further than 15 miles from home with it. leave the 4.56's in it.

I bet they aren;t even enough for the track.

A th350 will fit with a bit of floor tunnel mods. Its not that hard.

A racey motor wants to rev. Let it rev.
Yeah but I dont want to let it rev a 4 grand on my trips to the cruise nights guzzeling up gas at 8 miles per gallon..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
350, 383, 454...Which would you choose? Sandman1278 Hotrodding Basics 21 04-14-2010 09:11 AM
Choose what rear end gear ratio turser Transmission - Rearend 1 08-16-2009 01:40 PM
What rear end gear ratio to choose? Rodney Mackey Transmission - Rearend 18 04-24-2007 06:24 PM
Not sure what to choose! Bakdok Engine 8 06-07-2004 07:33 PM
Did I choose the right cam? lakecityg Engine 15 06-29-2003 03:39 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.