What goes in your Road Tool Box? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My Mom packed a first aid kit for me when I moved out here to Ca. I opened it looking for a bandaid and found 3 kotex in there with the rest of the stuff. Embarassed as heck til a friend told me they're great for compression wounds. Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Something I carry in all my vehicles if you belong to the NSRA a copy of members book, if you do have trouble maybe someone close can help.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Thanks Guys,

those were all excellent suggestions. Now all I have to do is make them fit in the toolbox or somewhere on the truck. I'm now thinking of adding a lockable toolbox to the running boards. I spent 6 hrs last winter knocking out the spare tire depression in the right rear fender so the truck would look smooth. I may have to re-think that now.

For fastback 49:

I flew down to Atlanta prior to 9/11 and picked up a '69 Camaro to drive it back 2700 miles to home. I picked the car up at 7pm and caught a Auto Zone open, $100 later I had a good road kit. Except for the locktite to repair the rearveiw mirror screw, everything still remains in the plastic tool box I bought. If you were thinking of taking all that stuff on a plane to your destination, FORGET IT!! It would never pass security. Good luck on the ride home.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 PM

The most important tool to take is. The National Street Rod Assn. publishes a little book called " Fellow Pages" which list by State, city, local of people who will help you when you break down. Might save you life . . maybe not... THERESA
Old 05-19-2005, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
I flew down to Atlanta prior to 9/11 and picked up a '69 Camaro to drive it back 2700 miles to home. I picked the car up at 7pm and caught a Auto Zone open, $100 later I had a good road kit. Except for the locktite to repair the rearveiw mirror screw, everything still remains in the plastic tool box I bought. If you were thinking of taking all that stuff on a plane to your destination, FORGET IT!! It would never pass security. Good luck on the ride home.
I live in Cleveland, and bought my Sierra on ebay from a guy in Nashville. Bought a one-way ticket to Nashville, spent the weekend there (great city!) and drove the truck back to Cleveland.

The dealer was cool to work with, so I boxed up the tools I wanted and shipped them Fedex. Didn't have to take them through security, or lug them onto the plane, but still had them for the roadtrip back. I sent them a few days earlier, so I knew they were there before I got on the plane.

I wouldn't do this in every situation, but in this case, it was worth it.

Also, if you don't trust the guy at the destination you can send stuff down to a local UPS/Fedex depot (or even a UPS Store) and then pick it up yourself in the destination city.

Tools are heavy, but if you plan in advance and don't need to next-day them, it really doesn't cost that much. Plus, if I wasn't 100% sure I could carry-on the tools, I trust Fedex/UPS a lot more than I do the airline to not lose the package. I've had my luggage lost twice while flying, but I ship/receive packages probably 20x more often than I fly and UPS/Fedex have never let me down. (USPS and DHL are different stories...)
Old 05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

thats Way cool theresa didnt know that existed and i did not realize you were flying to get it so yea i would see the car then go buy it if you need it
i guess im really over the top sometimes but if you look in my photo album you see my tool box its 24' long and you need a Stout truck to move it

have a great trip and let us now how it went

sr66

"take it easy"

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Full Custom Daddy-o

alittle1:That's a great idea. But I think I'm just going to put them in my suitcase--I'm not taking anything but actual tools--and I'll get anything else I'll need when I get out there. My mother, bless her heart, pointed out that I am so new to this that even if I brought every tool known to man, unless I can figure out what's wrong I can't do anything about it! So I am adding a couple "reference books" to my bag.

I did find a ride from Omaha to Norfolk, so I won't have to hitchhike or rent a beaucoup bucks rental car.

Have I mentioned yet I'm so nervous I've thrown up. I think a lot of it is excitement. I've been waiting for this day for the past 3 years.

I'll catch you all when I get home! Have a great weekend and Midwesterners, if you see a 49 broken down on I-80 or I-70, get beer and come back cus it might be me!

Tuck

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.