what is a good cam for a chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what is a good cam for a chevy 350

i have a 74 camaro with stock engine i did a valve adjustment but im looking to get a good rumbling sound does eny body konws a good cam that i can use

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 AM

there is lot of cams but you need more than just a cam upgrade is sounds like

I would get headers an edelbrock air gap preformer intake and a set of vortec heads make sure the intake you buy is for the vortecs this is speculating that your 350 is in good shape and not needing rebuilt but that top end kit would bring you more power than any cam by its self

Last edited by backyardracer; 03-29-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

Start with a free flowing exhaust system. Long tube headers, 2-1/2 dual exhaust with dynomax super turbos.

Big lopey cams require high stall, higher numeric gears, higher compression, and better intake to list a few mods.

So with a stock low compression engine, install a cam no bigger than a compcam 260H (260/260 advertised, 212/212 at 0.050").

Think about swapping out those stock heads if you want to make more power.

What gears and transmission do you have?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i've seen a few posts on here lately where people are recomending that people buy a performer rpm air-gap intake. if i was you i would do some research on these intakes as for every 1 good review on them i have seen 3 bad reviews. the air-gap intake for one can give you a fit when it's cooler outside with how long they take to warm up, many tests have been done between the air-gap and the regualr performer rpm and they have found that you may get 3-6 more hp with the sacrifice of some tq and that they also move your powerband up, narrowing you power curve (not by too much though). i have seen where taking a regualr perfomer rpm, milling the plenum divider down about 1/2" and adding a 1" spacer has acutally out performed the air-gap intake while not having any of the problems that have come from the air-gap intake. on top of that, an air-gap intake has taller runners making it a better suit for a motor that will have a cam with more duration not a motor that just has an upgraded from stock cam. to put things simple, if you are running less than 226 @ .050 in a 350 then those taller runners are likely hurting your power curve, where as a performer rpm would be perfect. personally i would never use an air-gap intake, for a mild street motor i would only use a regualr performer rpm, if i wanted a bit more rpm and peak power i would do the modifications that i listed above. and then for racing you go straight to the single plane victor intakes.

what 454C10 mentioned is right, you 74' camaro likely has a tall rear gear (numerically low) such as 3.08:1 so going to far into cam duration is not what you want to do. on top of that you car likely has a facotory stall speed of around 1700rpm, this also limits how much duration you can use. next is the fact that your smog 350 most likely is running about 8:1 compression which really limits the duration you can use.

the first area you should spend your money is in buying a new set of gears for the rear, say around 3.73:1, this will make a drastic improvment. the next would be to ditch the stock exhaust manifolds and get yourself a set of long tube headers, like 454C10 said 2.5" exhaust but i like the thrush welded mufflers a bit better (still made by dynomax, only mufflers i use) but that is just opinion. then after that save your money cause the next step would be to pull the motor and see if it needs to be completely rebult or if it can just get away with being freshened up (honing, rings, bearings), i like vortec heads but i'm not a huge fan of buying the factory ones, in the past they have had cracking issues and for the price you'll spend in the purchase, having them checked out, cleaned up, and rebuilt, for about 100-200.00 more you can buya set of aftermarket vortecs such as the RHS pro-torkers (some even accept vortec bolt patterns and standard bolt pattern intakes) that are pretty much gauranteed to make an additional 20hp over the facotry vortecs on the same exact motor. after that a decent cam with a duration @ .050 in the range of 212-220 along with a performer rpm intake and vac secondary 650 carb will make 350-375hp all day long. making for one fun street motor. but i'm just not a big fan of doing upgrades to a motor that you are not sure what the condition of the acutall internals are. think of it in terms of building homes, you can build an awsome house on a crappy foundation but it will just start to sag and sink, but if you make sure your foundtation is good before bulding your house you dont have anything to worry about.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM

thanks guys i took the engine apart and looks like cylinder 7 has wash board so im sending it to the machine shop to get it fix also i im planning on getting a rebuilt kit and i had some long tube headers,and 4.8:1 rear end and TH700R4 transs, Now what do you guys thing about keeping stock cylinder heads just have them port out and machine surface and get the Com Cams 270 and 1.6 rocker arm ratio and Edelbrok dual plane intake, but im not too sure about what carburator to use?..
Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

forget the 1.6 rockers. use 1.52's.

get a regular edelbrock rpm intake (not air gap) and a holley 750 3310 carb ($250 from summitracing).

the 270H or 280H is a good cam for a 3.73 gear. 4.8 gear would be too much.

A 10 inch 3000 rpm lock up converter would work well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM

when you say that you have 4.8:1 rearend, do you mean that you have 4.88:1 rear gears, if so they are way to much gear for what you are looking for. gears like these are better suited with either a 2 speed powerglide transmission or a 3spd with 32"+ tall tires and a whole lot of stall and cam. you should be looking into a set of 3.73:1 or at most 4.10:1 gears. ditch the stock heads, i have a saying for porting a set of stock smog heads "you can polish a turd all you want but in the end all you end up with is a shinny turd". as far as heads go if you are on a budget then i would strongly suggest one of these two heads;
http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RHS12410K1/
or
http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RHS12317K1/
niether will break the bank and both are a great street head.

be carefull as you meniton that you are looking into buying a rebuilt kit, most of these are not really ment for performance but just a stock rebuild, they also typically come with 1.540" compression height pistons instead of the standard 350 1.560" compression height pistons. they do this because they assume that you will have the block 0 decked, but most people and machine shops dont do this very offten, they normally just deck the block .010 (0 deck would be .025) now then people end up with their pistons sitting .015 farther down the cylinder than they expected.

i would say that you would be better of buying a kit like this:
http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RBG350-300/
having the crank and rods resurfaced .010/.010", then buying a set of pistons like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB193-030/
with these pistons you will not want to use the rings in the rebuild kit, you will want to call up KeithBlack and buy their recomended rings, and also how they recomend they be set up, for these pistons that is VERY important, so i would let your machinest do this. these 12cc dished pistons with the 64cc cumbustion chamber heads i recomended and a proper quench of .040-.046" will put your compression ratio at 9.5:1. all of this along with either of the two cams you mentioned will be a very good performing street engine, i would say in the 350-375hp range.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Don;t bother with stock 1974 chev 350 cylinder heads.
Not worth porting. 76cc chambers low compression ratio
do not invest money in these heads.
What is the casting number? usually the worst of the worst.

start by getting a good hi performance cylinder head.
headers and 2.5" dual exhaust.

Street: th350 and 4.10's

Hot street/strip: th350 3500+ converter 4.56's

cam choice is way down the road.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM

what about vortec heads with 170cc Intake Ports,64cc Combustion Chambers,1.940'' Int/1.500'' Exh Valves,.475'' Max Lift and im having the crank and rods resurfaced .010/.010", with thise pistons Pistons, Hypereutectic, Dish, 4.030 in. Bore, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB193-030/
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM

those heads will be a drastic improvment over your factory heads, and with the 12cc KB pistons you will be sitting at about 9.5:1 compression which will be a major improvement over the 8:1 you have now. i would also get another set of gears, if you just plain in it being a fun car, a cruiser then a set of 3.73's would be plenty, plus you will need to get a set of headers and some free flowing exhaust. as long as you are going to do all of this i would recomend a cam similar to this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-112571-12/

if you are going to stay with a hyd flat tappet cam then you need to stay away from the 1.6 rockers, stick to the stock 1.5 rockers. the 270H cam looks like it would require about a 2200 stall converter. if you are willing to replace the stall then i would suggest something even stronger as i think a 2200 stall is a waste of time.

what all are you looking to get out of all this, what will be the intent for the vehicle.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Actually these engine is going in to a 55 Dodge pick up truck..But is on a 90 S-10 Chassis and i just want it to cruise but at the same time i want it to have some extra power and good sound..ill try to post some pics later.. thanks for all the help.. And about the convertor you said a 2200 stall may be a waste what would you recomend? and where can i get it from?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM

i would recomend a 2800 stall but if you go that high then i would get a cam with a little more duration (since you could).

are you asking where you can get a torque converter from?

you will need to know what transmission you have but you can get them from all kinds of places, and they run anywhere from 200-to over 1000 for serious racing converters.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

what about if i use flat top pistons would i have enough valve to piston c
clearance
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

most people do.

flat tops in a 350 is very common.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 AM

For a cam, I would contact the some known cam manufacturers like: Comp Cams, Lunati, Crower, and Crane. If each of them have a similar opinion and recommend a hydraulic flat tappet cam for your particular engine; then I would suggest you to choose the one that is the closest to your need. And if you need any other parts for it you can refer to Chevy 350 Engine - GM Chevrolet 5.7 Liter Motor - Repair Guide & Availability also.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.