what is a good fast/initial idle for SBC? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post what is a good fast/initial idle for SBC?

I just finished getting my 327 up and running, and it has a new Edelbrock 4106 Performer carb on it w/electric choke. When I start the motor, it hovers around 2000 RPM's- is that high for the initial idle? Also, will it drop down on its own after some time (and about how long?)?

Thanks,

CHEV66JB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 PM
www.airriderz.com

Intial idle should be around 1500 rpms.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Chev66, That is a little high. If this is a new engine you should check out knowledge base right here on this site for different ways to break in an engine. I think you should be around 750 to 1000rpms when operating temp is reached.
Let us know how it go`s.
Slider in Wa.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

When engine is cold and you turn the ignition on; kick the gas pedal once to 'set' the choke. The high seed idle cam will also rotate when the choke is set this way. You should not have to pump the gas to start. Set the high speed idle so that you have about 1500 RPM. The choke will slowly open fully in about three minutes with the factory setting. The time can be adjusted easily if required. The idle will still be high if you haven't 'kicked' the pedal. Once the engine is warmed up enough to idle normally, kick the pedal to reset the fast idle cam. The idle should now drop down to around 900-1000 RPM in Park and will drop to around 700-800 in Drive. If you have a standard trans, the idle will drop down to around 700-800 in Neutral. You may have to re-adjust the throttle stop screw to achieve the RPM you want at idle AFTER the choke has fully opened and you are no longer on the fast idle cam.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:25 AM

Thanks guys-

Actually, I knew that for the initial break-in that the motor should run around 2200 RPM, which I actually got to do last week when my throttle linkage wasn't adjusted right 8^] Tonite I have to change the oil, and I'm going to work with the idle. The 2000 RPM just sounded a little high when it first fired up, but didn't know if that was just me or not..

Just to confirm, the "fast idle" screw is the one below the regular idle, right? If I'm guessing correctly, it's the one that points back toward the driver side seat and goes upward on like a 45 degree angle?

Thanks again to all who replied!

Regards,

CHEV66JB

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.