Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What is a good street carb?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Heres what i see. Go ahead and borrow an on head spring tester. Check em.If it is a solid roller,even 220 seat psi is ok on the street. Take the carb apart and soak it. Make sure all your bleeds are clean. I see it doesnt have screw in idle bleeds, so you can take a pin vise and a number bit and increase the idle bleeds a little,just check the existing size.Check the primary butterflies for position and make sure they aren't covering the idle wells i guess you call em, if they are you can drill the butterflies for more air so they can be closed down. Get the jetting down where its not washing the engine and a low power valve that is 3 or so in. below the idle vacuum so it wont be tipping in. Put a hot enough plug in it to keep the tips clean, like a - 6 ngk.tune the squirters after you get it idling and driving correctly. Make sure you have adjustment on your idle mixture screws, if you can close em down and it keeps running,its too rich idle mixture wise. Just basic get it running stuff. You can worry about cam timing and such until after you get it to respond. It will take a great ignition to keep it going. Lots of initial timing, but before it is hard to start and trys to detonate. Let the engine tell you want it wants, not the neighbors. The cam is a little large on .050 duration for the street and thats what makes em soggy on the bottom(no cylinder pressure at low rpms) That can be somewhat fixed by cam timing,but later on you will porb find out that a more up to date cam is in order