Hot Rod Forum banner

What is a good street carb?

36K views 174 replies 17 participants last post by  Dajerseyrat 
#1 ·
What street carb would you recommend for a fairly angry 383 Stroker with a 600 lift cam and about 11:1 compression? Currently it has a racing carb on it that is about 850cfm with mechanical secondaries. In this set up it like to load up and foul out plugs at idle or part cruising. Im looking to tame the car down a bit for the street, not a daily driver but a weekend warrior. Im looking for something I can install and drive out of the box with the minor adjustments..

Recommendations and why?

#158 ·
Definitely looking into this over the winter. I can tell you one thing, this motor makes some power...My Centerforce clutch is slipping in 3rd gear at 5000 rpms...Anyone have any recommendations for a nice streetable twin disc or something that will handle 600-700hp???

#160 ·
Then something is not right..I smelled the burning clutch and rpms climbed rapidly without the car moving faster. Can i be making that much TQ? They said this clutch was good for 550 TQ. :mwink: Can the throwout bearing be releasing it just a bit?

And FWIW I may just deal with the drivability, cause when I open this motor up, OMG the sound!!!!

#164 ·
I do have s light oil leak Im chasing down...Now that I think about it, oil could be blowing backwards and getting on it..:( Im assuming this requires removing the clutch and cleaning the surface really good.

As far as break in, it said no hard launches for 500 miles. I havent launched the car as of yet. This was 3rd gear slippage.

#167 ·
cleaning oil from a friction surface usually involves brake cleans for the pressure plate and flywheel.and usually a garbage can for the disc.If it was a stock engine I would heat the disc with a torch,careful to avoid the springs.
you can try brakekleens and sandpaper, I wouldnt

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#174 ·
Hydraulic TOB adjustment is usually done by screwing the bearing in or out to set the gap. Some setups also use shims. In any event, if this is incorrect the TOB piston can bottom out against the retainer before the pedal travel is used up. This will cause hydraulic fluid to leak out around the seal.

#175 ·
Not to revive an old thread but I decided to swap out cams on this car. Currently I have:

Lunati custom grind Solid Roller cam
Advertised duration 293/297
Duration@.50 260/264
Gross Valve lift .627/.600 lift
Lobe seperation 107*/104*
comes close to one of their Dirt Track 4000-8000 rpm cams.

I was thinking of this cam for more drivability
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 279/285
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 249/255
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .585/.600
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): 016/016
RPM Range: 2800-7200

What do you think?

BTW here is the motor in case you forgot.

383 Stroker motor bored out 4.065 (389 stroker)
10033867 Pontiac Motorsports Head (62cc)
Cometic .070 headgasket (11.0:1 compression ratio)
Lunati custom cam with a .627/.606 lift (4000-8000rpms)
293 intake 297 exhaust (advertised duration)
260 intake 264 exhaust at .50 tappet lift
JE custom pistons
A&C rings
Trend pins
CL77 race bearings
Dura Bond cam bearings
Magnum Callies 3.75 crank ($1200)
Manley valve springs
Manley SS valves
Manley titanium retainers
Manley locks
Manley pushrods
B&B poly locks
ARP rocker studs
ARP Stud washers
Crower ALM rockers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.