Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   What is a good truck body for a wide(modern frame) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-good-truck-body-wide-modern-frame-186017.html)

justanotherjoe 10-14-2010 09:39 PM

What is a good truck body for a wide(modern frame)

So I have a 98 Gmc 2500 with a trashed body on it but it runs fine, I have been looking around for awile now for a body to swap on it as a project but most of the 30s, 40s, and early 50s bodies wont work on that frame. Its around 44" outside to outside. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendations on a direction to go or maybe knows of any similar setups.

bighotroddin 10-14-2010 10:49 PM

You are probley going to have to get something in the 60's.

I did work with a guy that had a 66 Chevy on a late 70's 3/4 ton 4x4 frame.

I have a 51 Chevy and plan on putting it on a S10 frame. I know that they make manufactured kits for this.

techinspector1 10-15-2010 02:35 PM

Joe, with a Sawzall, a cutting torch, a MIG welder and a good hand grinder, anything will fit anything.

You're trying to envision this as a bolt-on kind of deal. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Find a body that you like. Think of the project in thirds. The front 1/3 is the front suspension and motor. The middle 1/3 is the body, transmission and controls. The rear 1/3 is the rear suspension and differential. Cut the middle 1/3 out of the frame and position the front 1/3 and rear 1/3 to the wheelbase that you want. Fabricate frame rails from 2 x 4 steel tubing and bolt them to the body with new rubber mounts. Position the middle 1/3 between the front and rear thirds and weld the whole mess together.

I know I'm just skimming across the top, but I have done this several times and found this procedure to work well.

If this makes no sense to you, then maybe this project is beyond your capabilities and you would be just as well off to part out what you have and use the money to help purchase something that is more complete.

V8 Super Beetle 10-15-2010 03:10 PM

I have to agree with tech. Why find something you necessarily don't like just fit a frame with a drive train. Find something you like, no matter what size. Then figure how you could modify the frame to fit under the body. You may have narrow the whole frame. You'll more than likely have to shorten it. All you need is an angle grinder with some grinding and cutting disks, a sawzal, and a mig welder with about 125 - 130 amps (a Lincoln pro-core is a good one, plugs into 115v and welds up to 1/4 in a single pass). It would be nice to have a cutting torch, but you could get away with out it.

You'll have to be creative to make body mounts and engine mounts. You could possibly buy something you could weld on from sw race cars or speedway, but you can do it for much cheaper getting metal from your local metal supply.

I've managed to fit a S10 chassis under my bug doing this exact thing. This wont be a simple bolt on and go deal unless you just find the same year body and swap. :thumbup:

daoldbuick 10-15-2010 03:32 PM

If you want to keep it a truck you might consider the body from an early semi or such. People don't usually consider them because of there size but the body off an old tandem truck on newer running gear might be a cool project.
Just a thought

swvalcon 10-15-2010 05:23 PM

I second the semi truck. The cab of a conventional semi isn't much bigger then a pickup cab its the hood you'll have to down size. most are made from fiberglass so a do able project. and you wont find one just like it at the car show.