Hot Rod Forum banner

What is a good way to do french seams?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ronbo 
#1 ·
Planning on doing some french seams on my seats. I've sewn a sample in vinyl using 1/2" sew foam and contact cement and sewn around the perimeter of the piece. The first or main seam was fine. Then I tried sewing the outside seams with ?bias tape. My sewing was finished side up. The ?bias tape? was a mess, very difficult to keep straight. The outsides were fairly wriggly due to the bunching, bias tape and bulk of the sew foam.
I'm wondering if I could sew the seams first and then add the sew foam afterwards. I would then contact cement the foam and sew foam to the vinyl together. Is there a better plan? What is the best way?
Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Yes, you can sew the seams first and then glue that whole assembly to sew foam. I glue the foam pieces together with butt joints to keep from wasting large sections of sew foam. From that point, you can then trace the pattern onto your fabric and sew around the edges. Take a look at post # 27 in this thread: CLICK HERE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.