What grit for epoxy primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 06:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What grit for epoxy primer?

What grit should I use on the bare metal before I epoxy primer ? I have been told to primer right over the sand blasted spots .But I also read somewhere that there can be particals of sand stuck in the metal. So I was just going to hit everything with the sander but I was wondering what is best .I see lots of people say 80 grit but I also believe that I have read 320 grit ???? Is it possible to make it too smooth so the epoxy will not grab the metal ? Also is there something easy to sand the bottom of a car with ( lots of contours and bends) like a 3m wheel or something like that? Mostly all bare metal now just needs to be ruffed up.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM

epoxy primer

i have always had good luck using 180 grit, the 320 does it to smooth ,,,,for me anyways when i really need to find out if i'm wrong i have a friend that has a body shop so i call him,,,and so far no bad results,,you can also use your search engine and checkout the custom painting sites those guys also very helpful
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Spi recommends the 80/100 grit for their epoxy and I can tell you that SPI epoxy fills those scratches just fine..On the bottom floor boards and such I just use my 4 1/2 sander grinder and get all the high spots I can and then use a Roloc to work out the small spots as needed..Sometimes you will need to do a bit of sandblasting to get into the final small areas..Dupont Starblast seems to be working the best for the guys I know..

Sam
Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

What is a Roloc ?........
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Roloc's are little small sanding disks..they come with an arbor that you chuck in a drill motor or air motor..they are about 2" or so in diameter and great for getting into the smaller spaces..they have a plastic screw on the back to attach them to the arbor..you will need an arbor and some of the disks..good thing to have on hand when doing body work..

Sorry dId not realize that folks did not know about those..http://www.bakerpbe.com/catalog.php?...01&descr=roloc there you go where you can get them..

Sam
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM

At my hotrod shop I do the majority of the metal work. I use a 120 grit 7 inch flap wheel on a grinder to metal finish with. I get the the metal to a almost mirror like finish then send it over to the paint shop for refinishing.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Don't sand with anything finer than 180 for sure, and the paper needs to be changed often at that grit level. 80 grit works just fine IMO and provides the best texture next to sandblasting. 80 grit scratches in bare metal probably compare to 220 grit scratches in bodyfiller if that makes sense- the softer the material the deeper your scratches will be. Make sure you clean the metal well before applying any primer. SPI's waterbased wax and grease remover is some awesome stuff for this purpose. Clean untill you see no more discoloration showing on your wipe off towels. Cleaning sandblasted surfaces can sometimes be a PITA and I usually blow the area off with compressed air to dislodge and abrasives then go over it with W&G remover then when dry I give it a light scuff with a red scotchbrite and compressed air to remove any towel fibers that were snagged during the wipe down.

If the surface is really rough in texture and towel fibers remain on the surface after cleaning and not removed before primer is applied thay can cause corrosion problems down the road. What happens is the fibers get primed over and just show as dirt which most think is no big deal but when sanded the fibers become little wicks that absorb moisture and allow the moisture to reach the bare metal below the primer. This happens a lot on heavy equipment, bridges and other structures but not as much on autos where there's more attention to detail-nevertheless something to consider during the cleaning operation. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.