What happened at Tonawanda in 1977? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacuum View Post
Of course It's a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix, originally delivered with a 3.8 Buick V6. Love the car, though it needs some work before I'll consider using it as a daily driver.
Cool. A unique ride in Norway, I'd imagine.

Should you ever want to swap in a Pontiac engine, there are some guys here w/good info on them. A couple pages from the Crankshaft Coalition wiki:

Pontiac info/sites
Pontiac engine info

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Not sure how it works there but some places as long as the engine was the same as one that was optional for the vehicle there are no problems. Have you looked up the specs for the 305 that was available in the '79 grand Prix? The 3 letter code might be different but IIRC it would have been the same engine in all other respects. HP, TQ, compression, emissions equipment etc. That might help you get it approved. I had a '77 Camaro, a '78 Malibu and a '79 Camaro all with the exact same 305 2 barrels.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Cool. A unique ride in Norway, I'd imagine.

Should you ever want to swap in a Pontiac engine, there are some guys here w/good info on them. A couple pages from the Crankshaft Coalition wiki:

Pontiac info/sites
Pontiac engine info
Yeah, it'll stand out in the parking lot of the local mall, that's for sure. While there are quite a few american car enthusiasts here, most don't use their cars as daily drivers. And the Grand Prix is not among the commonly owned cars, even within the enthusiast circle. This one was actually bought new in Norway in 1979.

I quite like the Chevy engines so think I'll probably stick with that, but thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
Not sure how it works there but some places as long as the engine was the same as one that was optional for the vehicle there are no problems. Have you looked up the specs for the 305 that was available in the '79 grand Prix? The 3 letter code might be different but IIRC it would have been the same engine in all other respects. HP, TQ, compression, emissions equipment etc. That might help you get it approved. I had a '77 Camaro, a '78 Malibu and a '79 Camaro all with the exact same 305 2 barrels.
Yeah, it's much easier if the car was originally offered with the engine. The one in the car now is a 4 bbl, though, so it's not stock. I will have to ask them if it's close enough. Also, the engine is from '77 and the car is from '79, which might be in conflict with emission laws. I'll shoot them an email today and hear what they say.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Yeah, it'll stand out in the parking lot of the local mall, that's for sure. While there are quite a few american car enthusiasts here, most don't use their cars as daily drivers. And the Grand Prix is not among the commonly owned cars, even within the enthusiast circle. This one was actually bought new in Norway in 1979.

I quite like the Chevy engines so think I'll probably stick with that, but thanks for the info.

Yeah, it's much easier if the car was originally offered with the engine. The one in the car now is a 4 bbl, though, so it's not stock. I will have to ask them if it's close enough. Also, the engine is from '77 and the car is from '79, which might be in conflict with emission laws. I'll shoot them an email today and hear what they say.
If you would, please PM me when you get the details of registering the car and emissions requirements there in Norway. I'd like to put the details here. Or you can enter them yourself if you have the time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the problem I see. is this.. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
but a 1979 g/p v8 would've been a pontiac 301 and later years after the 301 was killed off the g/p used a olds 307.
the sbc 305 would've been in the malbu and monty..
350 in very few..
not sure if over there if the chevy was used in that body line (g-body) if that fly as ok.. plus.. if the 79 chevy g-body is anything like my 86 SS they can't see the engine under all the hoses anyways...
good luck.. think you're gonna find the chevy engine in the pontiac.. might give you problems over there.. again. unless because the chevy engine was in a "like car"(monty carlo) they let it go..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Hi, cobalt, PM sent.

@geaheadslife: The Chevy 305 was used in the 1979 Grand Prix in California, or so I have read. I don't think it should be a problem. Even if not, I think it could be possible to convince them that the Chevy V8 is similar enough that the modification is safe. We'll see what they reply to my email.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Hi, cobalt, PM sent.

@geaheadslife: The Chevy 305 was used in the 1979 Grand Prix in California, or so I have read. I don't think it should be a problem. Even if not, I think it could be possible to convince them that the Chevy V8 is similar enough that the modification is safe. We'll see what they reply to my email.
yup cali, and iirc canada got the 305
might want to look into what the canada cars had as far as emmission controls as I'm sure it be less than cali..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
Vacuum (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Good thinking, I'll check that out
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

If you find a diamond 3 stamped on the front of either head,It is a engine tested by me when I worked at the Tonn,NY engine plant.I also worked in the dyno rm there.One of my pet projects was to test the hand built Cosworth dual overhead valve Vega.

There was sent in a prototype one of a kind all aluminum 454 with prints in a crate that I was suppose to run on the dyno the next day.Overnite it disappeared never to be seen or heard of again.Prints and all just gone.Well just a little history I guess.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Wow Gary, that's very cool, I'm gonna have to take a look at that. You mean a number 3 inside a diamond box? I think I might have seen that while looking over the engine, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Tags
305, chevy, engine, identification, model, suffix, tonawanda

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.