Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What has been your experience with headers compaired to stock exhaust manifolds??
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2002, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post What has been your experience with headers compaired to stock exhaust manifolds??

I have had three cars with headers and I have had bad experiences with all three of them.

The first car I had was a 66 Mustang. It had stock manifold with a single exhaust pipe. I converted over to dual exhaust pipes and the difference was astounding. Later, I installed headers and from 0 to 50 mph the performance was about the same. I really didn't notice and exceleration increase until after 50 mph on top end. The headers hung so low every time a hit a dip in the road the headers would bang on the pavement, so it was very stressfull. (This was all you could get in the early 70's) Eventually took the headers off and replaced them with the stock manifolds.

The second car was a Corvette with headers and side pipes. The headers came apart after 2 years of normal use and leaked around the collector. Nothing buy trouble, again replaced them with stock manifolds.

The third car is a model A with a 327 V-8. I put the block huggers in to avoid the road clearance problems, and bought the heavy 16 gauge tubing to avoid blow outs. Surely I will have no trouble with this set up. WRONG The headers came close to the starter which overheated and would not start the car after you drove for about 45 minutes. I had to install a remote starter selenoid just to start the car and I still have to replace the starter every 3 or 4 years because it is slowly getting fried even with a heat shield.

I would like to hear about the experiences our other members have had good or bad with headers on a daily driver????