Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What has happened to Speed Pro forged pistons
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What has happened to Speed Pro forged pistons

This is a compilation/composited from a thread in the Speedtalk engine forums. The person making these statement used to work at Federal Mogul.

"I ran the Speed-Pro division for a couple years....before my corporate execution....

All the popular numbers moved to the round wire retainers when the manufacturing was shifted to the Malden, MO plant about 6-7 years ago.

They have since closed the Malden plant, moved production to India and have yet to make anything there. You likely will not need to consider them as an option in the future unless something changes.

They closed the American plant with plans of making them all in India. The plant in India did not have enough open capacity, pistons are on backorder for over a year, and now they're getting parts from anywhere they have some open time....brilliant management - I promise that somebody got promoted for closing the Malden plant...

FM closed the Malden., MO plant early this year and has been living on inventory since then for forged parts..

And in my opinion - management is ALWAYS to blame for any ills that befall a large corporation. The combination of foresight, good decision making skills, and proper allocation of resources is why these guys are payed MILLIONS per year. A lot of these guys seem to be terrible at their jobs. And they get paid for it regardless of results.

I was in a large auditorium meeting where Dick Snell, then CEO of FM, announced that they were purchasing all of T&N (the source of the asbestos liability that supposedly brought them down), after being turned down on a partial purchase. A lower level I.T. guy pointedly asked him about T&N's well documented asbestos liability that had served as something of a "poisin pill" over prior year. The high and mighty CEO said that they had factored all that into their numbers (in a proposal that was cobbled up in a day) and that this was a great deal. Arrogance....."

The full thread is here: http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8060

tom