What have I been up to? Let me show you - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Whats racecar spelled backward

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What have I been up to? Let me show you

It's been a while but I've been pretty busy with the new project. Remember the old car that I painted in my garage.

It didn't turn out to bad, 1986 Mustang SVO,where I got my handle SVOHIO

Well some guy wanted it way more than I did so I sold it to him, my daughter was pissed, she figured that was going to be her car. Then I found this car, a 1994 Caprice. I want to make it resemble an Impala SS, not a clone, there won't be any Impala emblems on it.

Once I got around to scrounging parts and had time to get after it the weather was too cold to start any bodywork and I only use temp heat in my garage, so I started a project in the basement. Fabbing up Bonneville SSE seats to fit the caprice. I saw the mod on a forum, the front seats bolt directly to the caprice power rails and they showed some ways to mount the back seat that I didn't like so I came up with something on my own. I used the frame from the old back seat and cut it down to fit the back of the bonny seat and fastened it down.

Fits like a glove.

Another shot looking towards the front with the front bucket in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

After that I started a new project, smooth bumpers. The only place to get smooth bumpers are on the west coast and they want a ton of money. So I decided I would try and make them, if I screwed up so what lokk what I had to start with, pretty nasty.

I started by cutting out the middle section with a cut off wheel but leaving strips of material in tact to maintain the bumpers structure.

Then after cleaning and scuffing the back of the bumper I laid down a strip of mesh.

After that dried I cut strips of matting and started laying that in the void and building it up a little at a time until it was the same thickness as the rest of the bumper.

This was a test fit before laying mesh over the entire bumper.

I don't have any pictures of the mesh over the entire bumper or filling in the low spots with fiberfill, but heres how it looks with a new grille and some primer on it.

Next it on to the real body work with more pictures.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Nice work!

awsome job! I love those 94-96 Impala/Caprice. Good project car. Please keep posting pics.

Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Outstanding! I presume you won't stop until it looks a good as the Mustang, right?

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Outstanding! I presume you won't stop until it looks a good as the Mustang, right?

In a while, Chet.
So your familiar with my illness Chet?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

O.K back at it. Rust repair was the next order of business, I hit some bone yards to look for the lower rear quarters behind the back wheels, mine were pretty sad. I had to find two different cars to get rust free lower quarters, I was surprised how easy they could be cut off with a battery sawzall and a good metal blade. Once I got them home I cut out the ones on my car and slowly cut them to fit. Then I bought a flange/punch tool from Harbor Freight, it worked great, it made the job go a lot smoother.Then I picked up a mig welder off of Craigslist that was brand new with an argon gas bottle for $150. Now it was time for my first ever attempt at welding. Luckily I decided to practice on some scrap pieces first. Once I got the temp dialed in gave it a shot. Not too bad.

After both sides were complete I decided I didn't like how the rear fender molding looked, I've seen cars with the molding removed and smoothed out, it's a much cleaner look. And besides now that I'm a bigtime Mig welder
I figured why not. So I cut pieces of paper first then transferred it over to scrap pieces of metal I had left over from the rear quarter replacement.

Then after I had things pretty close I used the hole puncher and started to tack each piece on.

Heres how it looked after 8 million tack welds and some grinding, and yes I was careful with spreading the heat, after I heard that first pop.

Heres a picture after the first coat of mud.

Then after a bit more work it took shape.

And finally after a shot of primer.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Now it was time for new doors, why because these were perfect, no dents or rust to screw around with, plus these doors came off of a 95 and the 95/96 mirrors look much better.

Then I picked up the 94 SS rear quarter glass and inserts kit to loose the 94 Caprice look.

Now it was time to get really serious and make the car look straight, so I took her completely apart and filled in any low spots I found and sprayed it with high build primer and block sanded every single stinking body panel on the entire car, now I know why they call it body WORK.

Then finally some payoff, my painter came over and sprayed the jambs and inner doors in my garage.

Then it was time to put her all back together and line up panels and check gaps, this was enough to drive me crazy,but it's worth it when somebody looks down the body line for the first time. Heres a pic before the last coat of primer and final block sanding.

And finally it's off to the paint shop.

More to come later on.

Last edited by SVOHIO; 07-07-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

For those interested I just got my car back from the paint shop today. Still lots to be done but it's good to have home.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Looks Great

Shane
Old 07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Dang dude that beast looks mean I'm usually not fond of silver cars but it looks good on that. Props on that interior, it looks like it will be 1000 times more comfortable than the stock cloth. Does it have the digital gauge cluster? Also did I spot holes in the bumper from a pushbar install? Is this a caprice 9C1 cop car? Nevermind, Sarah just pointed out to me that is has a sunroof that rules the cop car out. It is a damn nice car though!

Are those the factory wheels with different center caps? Hopefully I'll see it cruising around town in the near future! Jeg's on main st perhaps?

ps. I wish I could have seen your SVO on the autocross course, I've taken our cougar ('97 XR7 4.6L) out a couple of times.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Very nice! The bumpers came out just as good (maybe better) than the aftermarket ones that are available for the Caprice / Impala. I've thought about the Bonneville seats for my '94 SS, but I haven't found a good set in grey yet. It looks good in silver and I like the re-located trunk lock too... really cleans up the rear end. Nice work
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=78novaman]Dang dude that beast looks mean I'm usually not fond of silver cars but it looks good on that. Props on that interior, it looks like it will be 1000 times more comfortable than the stock cloth. Does it have the digital gauge cluster? Also did I spot holes in the bumper from a pushbar install? Is this a caprice 9C1 cop car? Nevermind, Sarah just pointed out to me that is has a sunroof that rules the cop car out. It is a damn nice car though!

Are those the factory wheels with different center caps? Hopefully I'll see it cruising around town in the near future! Jeg's on main st perhaps?

Hey dude there you are, good to here from you. Your right it was a cop car but it was the chiefs car so it wasn't in regular service. I bought it from a guy that put the SS wheels and sunroof on for $1000 becuase it didn't run, it was out of gas. I probably see you up at Jegs or over on Brice rd.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSS
Very nice! The bumpers came out just as good (maybe better) than the aftermarket ones that are available for the Caprice / Impala. I've thought about the Bonneville seats for my '94 SS, but I haven't found a good set in grey yet. It looks good in silver and I like the re-located trunk lock too... really cleans up the rear end. Nice work
Hey another SS guy alright. You wouldn't believe what I paid for those seats, $50 from a Pick & Pull here in town, that trunk key mod was easy and notice the radio antenna is gone too.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.