what have i broken now???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what have i broken now????

hi again everyone.
hope your all enjoying the sunhine. xx
wondered if someone could help me out, ive got a 1955 ford mainline, and i stupidly took the live from by battery to the alternator off, at the alternator end first, because i was going to re new it, and before i could get the battery end off, i accidently touched the bumper with it, it melted the metal connector at the end, and now the car is totally dead. i have recharged the battery, thinking that i might have just drained it, but it made no difference. what have i blown up now? lol. i need to know what i could have damaged. any help would be really appreciated. i know very little about electrics, so if you could keep it simple, lol. i would appreciate it. I was also tidying up the wiring in the engine bay, as i put a new wiring loom in it, and its all very messy, but im sure that i didnt cut anything that i shouldnt have. all the ignition wires are still there, lol.
thanks for reading this,
shirlee. xxx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

I don't have the wiring diagram for that car but guessing that the wire going to alternator has a fusible link. This is a small section of the wire that is designed to open the circuit in the event of a short circuit.
You need to test the wire with a meter or test light.

vicrod
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
You may have ruined the battery as well.
Rich
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Not sure about the Fords..... but like Vic said, there's a fusible link somewhere..... follow all the wires from the battery's POS terminal .... there should be a splice to a different color wire.... that should be the fuseable link
Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Look on the back of the ignition switch, there are some fuses mounted on it IIRC.Could be one popped
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Maybe this will help . http://www.classiccarwiring.com/ford.php . I also agree there should be a fusible link somewhere that got fried during all this.JMO

Cole
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If you don't have a test light, trot on down to the parts store and get a good one, they are cheap. You can't troubleshoot anything without one. It might be a good idea to pick up a book on basic automotive electrical systems while you're there.
My guess is that you fried a fusable link somewhere. Tracing the power (or lack of) with a test light is pretty straight forward. Think of electricity as water in a hose. If the hose breaks, water can't get through. If someone turns off the fawcett, same thing. If a fat guy stands on the hose, not enough water can get through, same as too much resistance. Too small of hose and not enough water gets through.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 AM

haha, so basically i gotta look for a fat guy somewhere in my engine,
thanks for all your reply's. i appreciate it. xx
1/ i have checked wiring to alternator, there is no spliced wiring, its just a straight wire from pos battery to alternator. that is what i was replacing, when i lived the bodywork,
2/ there are no fuses on my ignition barrel. ive checked all the fuses in the fuse box's, and they are all ok.
3/the battery is fine, i charged it over night, its only about 9 months old, and its full, plus, all the lights, and gauges work.
could i have blown the diodes in the alternator, my dad, who knows loads about old cars, reckons it might be that,{ but unfortunatly he lives 120 miles away,} but the guy at my local garage reckons it isnt.
ive got a multi meter, but being a woman, if its not a shopping list, i dont understand it, lol. will try to muck about, and see if i can work out where the power stops, because clearly thats where the problem will be. ive got a haynes electrical manual, but again, being a woman, i never read manuals, lol. any more tips would be really appreciated.
thanks again. xx
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Having a Haynes manual isnt much to brag about. You will do better on your own woman or not!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM

mmmm not sure if that was supposed to be a positive comment, or a negative one. guess you dont like haynes manuals then. for novices like me, it gives me the basics to work with. any any help is appreciated, lol.
anyway. i reckon ive blown the starter solonoid. as it will fire up when i bypass the battery positive, and jump a lead from battery to solonoid directly. so i presume ive fried something inside it. if ive got it totally wrong, please feel free to tell me, lol.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Try this.... on the starter solonoid there should be a cable running from one side to the battery and the other side to the starter and two smaller posts which run from the ing switch system etc...... take a screwdriver and short across the two small posts, the engine should turn over (basicly bypassing the ing switch) if it turns over it's not the solonoid......... if it doesn't turn over, take a jumper cable from one side of the starter solonoid (battery side) to the other side (starter side) and it should turn over (basicaly bypassing the solonoid) if it does, and didn't when the two small ones were jumped, it's the solonoid. if it doesn't...... might be the cable to the starter.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinekitty
mmmm not sure if that was supposed to be a positive comment, or a negative one. guess you dont like haynes manuals then. for novices like me, it gives me the basics to work with. any any help is appreciated, lol.
anyway. i reckon ive blown the starter solonoid. as it will fire up when i bypass the battery positive, and jump a lead from battery to solonoid directly. so i presume ive fried something inside it. if ive got it totally wrong, please feel free to tell me, lol.
It was a dig on the haynes manuals. Not the girl. Never underestimate a woman.I am dumb... not stupid. LOL
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Did you ever get that wiring diagram you were asking about 6 months ago? It will be a big help in diagnosing electrical problems on this old Ford.

An 8 page wiring manual/diagram costs $8.00 plus shipping- and they'll ship overseas.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM

hi EOD, have fixed it now, it was a burnt wire on the ignition barrel, and also a lose connection. all sorted, thanks for the advice. xxx

LATECH, lol, cool. i meet sooooo many sexist guys tht sometimes it hard to tell if men are being sarcastic. am so lad your not like that. xx

COBALT wiring diagrams are no good, asit had 3 generations of wiring all mixed together when i got it, so i have put a brand new wiring loom in, so i use the new instructions for the new loom. it was chopped and bodged about so much, that it was easier to rip it all out and start again. luckily, the new loom really simplifies things, so its easy for me to understand, lol. xx
thanks again to you all for your help. xxxx
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear you have it fixed

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.