What head gaskets do I need - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 08:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What head gaskets do I need

I pulled the heads off my 383 not that long ago I belive it had felpro head gaskets but I dont know which one I have 64cc chamber Iron heads with flat top pistons I dont know how deep my block as been decked I would assume its at zero because there is absolutely nothing left of the pre-fix code
What head gaskets do I want? Or should I say how can I check how high my deck is? and does anyone know how to get all the papery part of the old head gaskets off? its stuck pretty good and I know if you use sandpaper/steelwool you have to get the heads deckedbut is scotchbrite ok?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

On a cast iron block and heads I use a wire brush in a drill. For aluminum I use a spray gasket remover. As for gaskets I would think you would use standard 350 head gaskets. I prefer Felpro myself.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:36 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Scotchbrite should be ok. If there is papery stuff left behind I have to wonder what kind of gaskets you had. About all Felpros leave behind is the blue die. I like the scotch brite discs in my die grinder.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:43 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Scotchbrite should be ok. If there is papery stuff left behind I have to wonder what kind of gaskets you had. About all Felpros leave behind is the blue die. I like the scotch brite discs in my die grinder.

Using Scotchbrite discs to remove gaskets from any surface in an assembled engine is one of the worst things you can do. The abrasive dust from the disc will stick to any oily part and get into everything else. Also, it is too easy to cause low spots on the deck or head surface. GM and Ford have disallowed the use of Scotchrite discs and there are many service bulletins advising against their use. I personally have milled many heads that have needed an additional .004-.006" milled from the deck surface to remove the rounded-off parts caused from the disc. Plus I have seen dozens of engines with trashed bearing and cranks from the abrasive that went through the oiling system after head gasket or intake gasket replacement where the Scotchbrite discs were used. Don't use 'em!

tom
Old 02-26-2005, 08:56 AM

you didn't say what block you have for the head gaskets.if you have a 350 block use felpro # 7733PT-2,400 block use felpro # 8364PT,$15.00 ea. and use the spray gasket remover from any parts store but cover any surface thats close and does not get sprayed,with a rag or something.you do see them on the car shows on t.v. use the scotchbrite pads but tom makes a very good point.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:05 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I shoud mention that Fel-Pro has a new HD head gasket for the 350 engine. The part number is 501SD. It has enhanced sealing and armor, and other features that make it stronger than the 7733PT2. It is priced between the 7733PT2 and the race series of gaskets.

tom
Old 02-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
I shoud mention that Fel-Pro has a new HD head gasket for the 350 engine. The part number is 501SD. It has enhanced sealing and armor, and other features that make it stronger than the 7733PT2. It is priced between the 7733PT2 and the race series of gaskets.

tom
Does it have the revised cooling passage like the #1014? The 1014 is a .039" thick gasket that has you drill a hole in the center of the block, at the bottom between the cylinders. It then restricts existing holes at the outside cylinders. This helps cool where the two exhaust valves side by side heat things up.

I like to use the ARP undercut head studs with aluminum heads. They are undercut so that they stretch. Aluminum and cast iron expand differently when heated. The studs will make up for the different expansion rates a little.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:36 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

It is going to come down to getting the right quench. If it is zero decked, then you really have no problem, I would just use a fel pro .041 compressed thickness gasket. The only note that I would have is that some people say that it is bad to run copper gaskets on the street. I have done it with out problems, but I would still not recommend it. If it turns out that your pistons are around .012 in the hole, you will have trouble finding a non copper head gasket that will give you a quench of around .040 to .045. I had this problem on a friends car and we used a head gasket that is supposedly for the Vortec heads, but it worked great on his motor and we havent had any problems with it (he has pro topline heads). It is a .028 compressed thickness gasket. Here is the website for it. Scroll down until you see "special head gasket for the vortec heads".

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Cylinder_Heads/Vortec.html

Good luck
Adam
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

[QUOTE=lluciano77]Does it have the revised cooling passage like the #1014? The 1014 is a .039" thick gasket that has you drill a hole in the center of the block, at the bottom between the cylinders. It then restricts existing holes at the outside cylinders. This helps cool where the two exhaust valves side by side heat things up.

I would think so since the 7733PT now has that hole.

tom
Old 03-01-2005, 01:45 AM

I just measured it today
the pistons are about .005 in the hole
Zero decked so I want a .041 gasket I guess I will try the new HD ones
Only the heads have a gray/black papery gasket stuck to them
The block has the Blue Die mentioned do I need to remove the blue die before installing my new gaskets?

I guess I will clean the heads with just gasket remover and a scraper

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.