what the heck is this in my fuel? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Heathen

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any stainless braided line in your system. Could be ethanol in the fuel sloughing the rubber out of the fuel lines.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
Depending on where you are, yes there could be up to 15% ethanol. I would contact manufacturer of the fuel cell and check compatibility and open it up and see what s going on in there. That stuff had to come from somewhere. We used to run fiberglass tanks in the skiffs until ethanol came out and we found that it ate them up.
There are some fiberglass tanks that used cheap resins that are not resistant to ethanol, but not every glass tank used that resin. Fuel cells are compatible with ethanol, and most with methanol as well. Ethanol and methanol are two very different substances, and most people confuse the two or assume they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
Here's a picture of ethanol residue from a boat carburetor, does it look familiar?
That is not ethanol residue, that is gasoline residue that ethanol cleaned out. Big difference. Gasoline leaves varnish and residue throughout the fuel system, ethanol merely cleans it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Any stainless braided line in your system. Could be ethanol in the fuel sloughing the rubber out of the fuel lines.
Wrong again. Wow, so many people who dont know much about fuels and certainly next to nothing about ethanol and chemisty.

Fuel lines produced since around 1983 have been ethanol compatible. It doesnt eat them, but gasoline eats rubber fuel line yet I dont hear any of you saying anything about it. When I was running gas, especially race gas, I was going through rubber line ever year to 18 months and there was zero ethanol in it. Since I have been running ethanol I havent had to replace anything in the fuel system for the last 8 years.

I produce ethanol at home, cattail vodka, and run it in my cars with stock fuel systems. If you want a clean fuel system, you dont run gasoline in it. If you want your engine to last forever you dont run gasoline in it either. Ethanol has been run in all my vehicles, including two 98 Pontiacs, a Gran Prix and a Formula, a 92 F150, a 79 Trans Am, 72 Formula 455 HO, and the 70 GTO.

I modify Qjets to run ethanol, have done extensive testing since 2007 with them and my 1970 GTO, and the results have been everything is lasting longer since it doesnt have gasoline run through it. It has a stock 1970 vintage tank, lines, and a 13:1 compression 455. The only addition to the fuel system is an electric pump which has been under it since 1996, and ran E10 through it until 2007 when it was switched to ethanol. The pump was added because the old 8.8:1scr 455 would suck the float bowls dry in 2nd gear with the stock pump.

This is what a 455 looks like after running ethanol for just under 200 hours. I pulled the heads to up the compression from 11.3:1 and this is the pic I took during the swap. This thing is a kick *** street engine.

Do you want to see some pics of the Qjets I have been running too?

Whatever this guys issue is, it isnt ethanol in his fuel. It looks more like a contaminant in his gas, and ethanol wont leave anything like what he is seeing. Sure you can claim its ethanol causing the problems, but I seriously doubt you have done any actual testing to see what the problem was. You just blame it on the scary corn gas because someone said it is bad, and never bothered to find out for yourself what the facts actually are.

Come on up to northern Michigan and we can go for a ride in the GTO now that the snow is gone. You can look in the carb, scope the fuel tank, and see what actually happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thumpin455 For This Useful Post:
richard stewart 3rd (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
boatbob2

gas tank foam.

HI,I had a 1982 ROBALO boat,with a brown/red foam inside the fuel tank,this foam disintergrated and plugged up fuel lines and the fuel filter.,carbs did not get plugged,the filter caught this mess, I had to cut the floor open,remove this fiberglass tank,and installed an aluminum tank.this foam particles felt like sand,this COULD be your problem..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
There are some fiberglass tanks that used cheap resins that are not resistant to ethanol, but not every glass tank used that resin. Fuel cells are compatible with ethanol, and most with methanol as well. Ethanol and methanol are two very different substances, and most people confuse the two or assume they are the same.

That is not ethanol residue, that is gasoline residue that ethanol cleaned out. Big difference. Gasoline leaves varnish and residue throughout the fuel system, ethanol merely cleans it out.

Wrong again. Wow, so many people who dont know much about fuels and certainly next to nothing about ethanol and chemisty.

Fuel lines produced since around 1983 have been ethanol compatible. It doesnt eat them, but gasoline eats rubber fuel line yet I dont hear any of you saying anything about it. When I was running gas, especially race gas, I was going through rubber line ever year to 18 months and there was zero ethanol in it. Since I have been running ethanol I havent had to replace anything in the fuel system for the last 8 years.

I produce ethanol at home, cattail vodka, and run it in my cars with stock fuel systems. If you want a clean fuel system, you dont run gasoline in it. If you want your engine to last forever you dont run gasoline in it either. Ethanol has been run in all my vehicles, including two 98 Pontiacs, a Gran Prix and a Formula, a 92 F150, a 79 Trans Am, 72 Formula 455 HO, and the 70 GTO.

I modify Qjets to run ethanol, have done extensive testing since 2007 with them and my 1970 GTO, and the results have been everything is lasting longer since it doesnt have gasoline run through it. It has a stock 1970 vintage tank, lines, and a 13:1 compression 455. The only addition to the fuel system is an electric pump which has been under it since 1996, and ran E10 through it until 2007 when it was switched to ethanol. The pump was added because the old 8.8:1scr 455 would suck the float bowls dry in 2nd gear with the stock pump.

This is what a 455 looks like after running ethanol for just under 200 hours. I pulled the heads to up the compression from 11.3:1 and this is the pic I took during the swap. This thing is a kick *** street engine.

Do you want to see some pics of the Qjets I have been running too?

Whatever this guys issue is, it isnt ethanol in his fuel. It looks more like a contaminant in his gas, and ethanol wont leave anything like what he is seeing. Sure you can claim its ethanol causing the problems, but I seriously doubt you have done any actual testing to see what the problem was. You just blame it on the scary corn gas because someone said it is bad, and never bothered to find out for yourself what the facts actually are.

Come on up to northern Michigan and we can go for a ride in the GTO now that the snow is gone. You can look in the carb, scope the fuel tank, and see what actually happens.

if your post had any truth to it, then why every car maker out there going to void the cars warranty if e15 is used in them?? when it just be a flash tune away?
why did they change the rubber fuel lines make up and add a liner if fuel line from 1983 can run it no issue..
why are carbs parts getting eaten
why are fuel pumps rubber parts failing, and replacement rebuild kits come with rubber parts with a different make up..
why are boat owners being advised to replace all fuel line(rubber) in their boats built before 2005 if the line is ethnol safe
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
68NovaSS (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Modern pump gas and race gas has alot more toluene, benzene, acetone, etc. than fuels from 15+ years ago. Old rubber parts such as lines and pumps will not tolerate these chemicals either.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

[quoteATL Racing Fuel Cells - Sports Cell Series[/quote]

ATL Says ethanol resisitant, I'd still pop the top and take a look, that crap is coming from somewhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

This is from a Corn based Ethanol affects. The only question is my mind id a 10% or 15% blend mix? It is destructive stuff. I finally went to a 2 fiklter system with a screw can and replaceable elements and you should see what those filter elements look like after 1,000 miles. AND now there is talk a Sugar Cane based ethanol is coming next. Is it less damaging OR are the petroleum blenders just stretching out the gas and enhancing their profits more? We pay, they play!
Normbc9
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
if your post had any truth to it, then why every car maker out there going to void the cars warranty if e15 is used in them?? when it just be a flash tune away?
why did they change the rubber fuel lines make up and add a liner if fuel line from 1983 can run it no issue..
why are carbs parts getting eaten
why are fuel pumps rubber parts failing, and replacement rebuild kits come with rubber parts with a different make up..
why are boat owners being advised to replace all fuel line(rubber) in their boats built before 2005 if the line is ethnol safe
Some of the guys in the fishing club bought new boats this year Yamaha and Mercury States changes have ben made to All rubber parts where you can run up to 10%ethanol but recommend Sea foam addatine to disapate the water caused by gas/ethanol sitting longer than two weeks some turns to a sticky gray substance some as in mine it sit all winter it turned to a hard powdery substance I had to vat for 3 days to loosen it enough to remove it as gearhead stated why did they spend the money to update and change compound if it were the greatest invention since the wheel,

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
ATL Says ethanol resisitant, I'd still pop the top and take a look, that crap is coming from somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Well I got to the bottom of my contamination and unfortunately it is not what I wanted to see, but what I figured what it was..Apparently this high end "safety fuel cell" used for Nascars and SCCA, has a plastic bladder filled with foam and inserts into an aluminum case. Well apparently the entire hard rubber inner bladder is completely disintegrating to pieces, literally.. I am shocked and appalled that a safety product advertised as such and an item I would depend on doing its job in case of a crash, has failed miserably in less than 5 years, from simply holding race fuel..Look at these pictures, this is an absurd failure in my opinion...I cant fathom how they could design a product and sell it as a safety item with this end result...You can not imagine how angry I am right now that this high end expensive "safety equipment" would fail like this..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130502_200200_533.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	73723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130502_200135_299.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	730.5 KB
ID:	73724  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat View Post
ATL Says ethanol resisitant, I'd still pop the top and take a look, that crap is coming from somewhere.
Well I got to the bottom of my contamination and unfortunately it is not what I wanted to see, but what I figured what it was..Apparently this high end "safety fuel cell" used for Nascars and SCCA, has a plastic bladder filled with foam and inserts into an aluminum case. Well apparently the entire hard rubber inner bladder is completely disintegrating to pieces, literally.. I am shocked and appalled that a safety product advertised as such and an item I would depend on doing its job in case of a crash, has failed miserably in less than 5 years, from simply holding race fuel..Look at these pictures, this is an absurd failure in my opinion...I cant fathom how they could design a product and sell it as a safety item with this end result...You can not imagine how angry I am right now that this high end expensive "safety equipment" would fail like this..[/QUOTE]

have been out of racing about ten years now,Circle Track,we ran a Fuel Safe Brand Name 16 gal cell ,the best I can remember it recommended ckanging foam once a season on Alcohol and every 3 years on Purple or Red leaded /unleaded Racing fuel But on the street I would think it should run much longer ,I would call Manf. there might be a pattern of failure and the might replace it. Just a thought.,,we ran uncial 76 Guess where we got our number.i wont put LOL because this is not funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	73725  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Dude, that s***s nasty. Well at least you know where it came from. Maybe ATL would like to see that?
As far as ethanol goes, the only ones making out on that stuff is the oil companies. The Government subsidizes it because it costs more to make than what it sells for. It is a distilling process that uses more fuel and energy than it saves. What do you expect, its government project. And now they are going to make it out of sugar? Wait till you see how bad that stuff is. I miss the good old Sunoco 260 days!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

I remember when some one got mad at some one else they put sugar in the gas tank it would run until you turned the engine off ,it would Never turn again ,now they are going to use sugar cane in our gas HMMMM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post

have been out of racing about ten years now,Circle Track,we ran a Fuel Safe Brand Name 16 gal cell ,the best I can remember it recommended ckanging foam once a season on Alcohol and every 3 years on Purple or Red leaded /unleaded Racing fuel But on the street I would think it should run much longer ,I would call Manf. there might be a pattern of failure and the might replace it. Just a thought.,,we ran uncial 76 Guess where we got our number.i wont put LOL because this is not funny.
ITS NOT THE FOAM DISINTEGRATING!!!! What you see is the actual plastic tank itself...Its just a plastic fuel cell inside an aluminum one, they call it a "bladder: but its the actual tank that holds the fuel...The foam I would understand, but the damn tank itself actually disintegrating??
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Here is the best part...The replacement bladder for the fuel cell is $391 from ATL..LOL
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat View Post
Here is the best part...The replacement bladder for the fuel cell is $391 from ATL..LOL
Yea I saw that ,never had that happen,we have had foam break down but never the bladder.the bladder is what that stops the fire in a crash ,it is designed to collapse and not rupture or explode ,,so much for the safety bladder,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.