Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what is hot rodding to you? another newbie, with a unique project
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
sorry,chassis has been sold
??????????? What chassis? Guess I missed that.

Anyway. What is hotrodding about? In my opinion it's about making something faster or better engineered than what you can buy, or making something that you like, and no car maker builds. I also think it's about doing as much of the build as possible yourself. Anybody can write checks and tell a builder what they want, but that's not hotrodding in my opinion.
Even if it takes years to finish as you learn, I think it's still best to do as much as possible yourself if you want to call it "your" hotrod.
Six months is a crazy timetable for this large a project, especially if you want it done right for a reasonable amount of money. I think it can be done for the price you quoted, but probably not in that time frame when you're paying someone else.
When I started stuffing a 327 Chevy in place of the tiny 20 hp flathead 4 cyl. in my old '46 British Austin I got some friends who thought this particular car was not a good choice for what I planned. Would have been much easier to have chosen a later post '48 Austin with it's larger engine bay, longer wheelbase, and wider body. But what kinda fun is it to do a swap that almost anyone can do? Moving the firewall back 12" and setting the front seats back enough that you sit nearly in the back seat to steer is way more fun!