Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what is hot rodding to you? another newbie, with a unique project
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

see that's the thing, i don't ever plan on selling it, hard times or not. i'd sooner stuff it into a friend's garage before it had to come to that. i hope i'm not the only one that thinks that way

i don't have unlimited access to my garage for storing a car project, that's part of why i gave myself a tight deadline. it can go in there for a short time, but that's it. the fam isn't really keen on a dismantled car in the garage. i don't require it to do anything more than roll out of the garage under its own power. once it can be parked on the street, i can do further work from there. basically i just need it to turn over and stay running and driving(ish). oh, and the main bits mounted to the chassis. i also gave myself that timetable because my work slows down in the winter for a few months and project start should coincide with it slowing down. plenty of time to work on it then!

the street's close enough to run an extension cord out for tools, and safe enough to leave the project outside. so long as the hood's on nobody's the wiser.

i've been catching endless flak for choosing the del sol as a platform. personally, i take it as more reason to do it. 1971, i also have to set the firewall back, though probably less than your 12". i wish i had as much extra room as you to push the seats back, but if i run a rear mount trans axle, i'm almost 100% certain the tailshaft is gonna be by my elbow coming from the rear. that means i need to widen the rear part of my mini tunnel, which means less seat slide space . still think i can retain the power window though.

paid a visit to ye ol' S&S Speed Shop today, got a lead on a fabricator that works for moroso and is an nhra inspector of some sort. they swear he can beat the lowest shop's quoted price of 20k, and can do better work than that guy. we'll see when i call tomorrow, i guess.

on a side note, i've been reading that people have successfully mated an ls1 to the audi quattro system. i'd have to mount the trans in the traditional location, however. going to look into that further...

there is the audi r8 quattro system, but no way i can afford that