what is hot rodding to you? another newbie, with a unique project - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can't imagine building a car on the street, but building one without a garage is not impossible, and doing it while working a job is not impossile either. I built mine working in a Costco 10'x20' canopy in the backyard. Started in Sept. of 2010, and was driving it in Mar. of 2011. But I worked every evening for 6-8 hrs., and all day on weekends almost every weekend.
Here's a pic of my meager work shop back then. Now that the car is finished I've moved my restored '71 Camaro to the canopy, and the old car is in the garage.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevynut
I have to agree.Great pictures.
Thanks...our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were the pioneers of this hobby. When you see an older gentleman stooped over with arthritis and various other issues, try to remember that he may have been one of those young kids with a hot flattie stuffed in an "A" roadster burning up the post-war roads...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Food for thought....

The first two pix are something Carroll Shelby might build... the 3rd pic is something Al Gore wants him to build...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hemimetro.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	64559   Click image for larger version

Name:	100Mdragcar.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	64560   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbackfire.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	64561  

Last edited by Mojo56; 04-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

it's going to be tough, but it's no different than any other time i've had to work on my current car. our driveway is angled so the only places to jack the car up are in the garage or on the street. the garage is still family used so it's not always open enough to fit a car. tools can go in there just fine, and i don't mind lugging gear out 20ft to the curb.

the shed idea is great, except there's no way to get the car to/from the back without renting a crane. i was tempted, but no hah. i only decided to wait for my slower work season because come spring through fall, i have a very random schedule. could be lots of 4-8 hour days, then back to back 16-36 hour shifts. more importantly, lots of time to plan. but once i get going, i don't want to stop until it's finished. i'll buy a patio propane heater thing to work under if i have to.

mojo, that first car's bay looks tighter than what i have to work with!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Rymel

Check your Private Messages
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

thanks, missed that pm. toying with the idea of using a porsche 968 awd transaxle system as well, since it too is in the rear and its awd system has more of a rwd bias.

still haven't had a chance to get under the car for measurements...curse you, work!

Last edited by Rymel; 04-07-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM
boatbob2

????

Hi,i think it would be better,easier and cheaper,if you would make up your mind,what youre going to do,then stick to it...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

i have now. spent last night looking up the other system while working, and apparently comparing the two while sleeping. i think the 968 awd transaxle is a better fit and better for overall dd duty. since i'm not cutting or buying anything yet, i'm still going to explore both paths on paper until i'm satisfied with an outcome
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

misread some info. the 968/944 projects i was told about were never finished. there was a successful mating of a quattro awd system i need to look into though. in the meantime, i'm still looking into wedging a transfer case between the trans and corvette rear. holden out in australia has my answer for the front diff:

i worry about how much it'd stick out of my hood after, but we'll see
Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

I might have a different thought on what "hotrodding" means to me. To me it is caring more about how your vehicle runs then how it looks. A vehicle can have blemishes, ugly paint, crappy interior... But if all the mechanicals are in good shape and she runs like a bat outa hell then She's still just as much fun to drive if not more fun then some show queen.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

same. looks can come after it's mechanically the way you want it.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

If i were you i would start with a car thats already rwd.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 AM

Last photo:

I think hotrodding involves producing a car that goes faster than the manufacturer or the deity ever intended. The definition of hotrodding has to go beyond just custimization. Otherwise simply putting a stereo that wasn't offered by the factory would be involved.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

to me hotrodding is about STREET racing. the quickest car across the intersection, the eighth, the quarter, whatever. to some it might be autocrossing, road racing, off roading, standing mile, salt lake, whatever. and still, whatever kind of race car/boat/plane you talk about, IT IS A HOTROD if it races.

to that end there is a philosophy/definition of taking the largest motor and stuffing it into the smallest car. i still kindof hold to that. restoring a car to stock is NOT hotrodding to me at all, even if you are restoring a corvette.

like your avatar, my first hotrod after i sold my t bucket was putting a 327 into my MGC. it took alot of work, not that much money, and it didn't last long till i spun out and went upside down in a ditch, end of car. i basically ended up replacing every part in the car except the rack and pinon steering as i recall. that is when i built it. i never fixed it. i left it under a tree in okmulgee oklahoma with a brand new 307 hanging over it. i couldn't take another 100 degree oklahoma day.

hotrodding to me is the same as trying to get some strange. i dont have the money or the time, so i dont even try. i am selling all my vehicles. i dont have and haven't had the money to even get my heads out of the machine shop for the last two or three years and am lucky the various machine shops that have done the small amounts of work on them havent taken them from me during the time it has taken me to pay them for what they did.
and even if i did, the insurance hikes you get, and the fines, for speeding, would take all the fun out of having a hot rod because even here in the sticks, i know i would get nailed, then i would have to sell the car to pay the fine or wouldnt be able to drive it because it would be uninsured. times have really changed in that regard since i was a young buck. ESPECIALLY WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU GET CAUGHT STREET RACING. and plan on doing JAIL TIME if you happen to kill anybody doing it.

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
choppers hotrods been my ruin

Rymel, how new are you to cars? Are you a mechanic or mechanically inclined. It certainly sounds as if you are familiar with the workings of vehicles but can you take an engine apart and put it back together again so it works, can you hook up that fuel injection on the Vette engine? Where will your radiator go what about the gas tank and fuel pump and return?
I'm just saying that your plan sounds great but I think your expectations are a little off. Build what you wanted but don't build in defeat. No one else is saying it but these things take years and thats for guys that have done it before. To build something like that in six months and use it as a daily driver, how thats a real tall order for some one who is brand new to the whole thing. It could end up turning you off. Please don't take offense to this, just my old guy advice

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.