What is a 'hotrodder'? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Man, I love the look of that Kurtis Roadster. If my memory serves me, when I was a kid reading everything I could find on cars, Roger Ward was driving Kurtis roadsters to Indy wins. Those cars and the Novis were the best looking cars at Indy. I guess we are about the same age and grew up on the same stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Don't mess with vets that have "tools" That post is gone..

Sam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
Man, I love the look of that Kurtis Roadster. If my memory serves me, when I was a kid reading everything I could find on cars, Roger Ward was driving Kurtis roadsters to Indy wins. Those cars and the Novis were the best looking cars at Indy. I guess we are about the same age and grew up on the same stuff.
That is the "inspiration" for my project..and I want something just a bit "different" than a T-bucket..Your memory is right-on and you are one of the few that has picked up on that..

Sam
Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last journal entry: Tha 31
Last photo:

Quote:
Sounds like she comes by it honestly! She is certainly on her way. The real test will be when she would rather work on her Hotrod that go to the dance with some pimple face jerk.

QUOTE=bigblock454camaro]Does this count? My baby girl (7) had to write a math question in class on Friday, no lie this is what she wrote. "There are 17 hotrods at the show, 4 left how many hotrods are at the show?" My wife had to call me at work to tell me I've warped her. Is she a hotrodder?
[/QUOTE]

She is the only one to volunteer to help get the Camaro ready for Cruisin the Coast. I have two boys (11 16) and she's the one ready to go.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

I really enjoy my T Bucket. My wife and I went cruising last night. I get lots of smiles and thumbs ups. Everywhere we stopped it rew a crowd. I would like to think it was my good looks but I know it was the T. I have had other Hotrods but I've never had one before that was so universally liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
That is the "inspiration" for my project..and I want something just a bit "different" than a T-bucket..Your memory is right-on and you are one of the few that has picked up on that..

Sam
Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I really enjoy my T Bucket. My wife and I went cruising last night. I get lots of smiles and thumbs ups. Everywhere we stopped it rew a crowd. I would like to think it was my good looks but I know it was the T. I have had other Hotrods but I've never had one before that was so universally liked.
Maybe it was niether the "T" or your looks, Maybe your wife drew the crowd, my wife used to tell me she was better looking then my rods were. LOL

gcrmcc
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

I'd like to think it was her, it is true for me. She is a bright spot in my life for sure. Practically speaking, she is nearly 60 like I am. I think we both are well past drawing crowds with our good looks. I'm sure it was the T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrmcc
Maybe it was niether the "T" or your looks, Maybe your wife drew the crowd, my wife used to tell me she was better looking then my rods were. LOL

gcrmcc
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

A Hotrodder?

Anyone who gets a "positive" adrenaline rush from being *around hopped up street cars.

*buiding
driving
watching
hearing

Old 12-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: One Last Shot
Last photo:

That Are you a hotrodder thingy

I logged on here to update my project journal and saw the discussion about what makes some a "Hotrodder". It's funny but it doesn't matter if it is cars, or motorcycles, or playing a musical instrument, or art even. All of which I have experience with. In art you can either be an "Illustrator" or an "Artist". Norman Rockwell dreamed of being categorized as an artist all of his life, but never lived down the title of illustrator. I know Harley guys that won't ride in the same group with sport bike riders, and vice versa. I know bikers that think that if you haven't ridden a couple of thousand miles in a day at least a couple of times in your biking career you aren't a "Biker". As far as I'm concerned it's all crap. Utter crap. What difference does it make if someone builds their own stuff or not? Or if they can pull out their tool bag and fix the damn thing on the side of the road rather then having someone else fix it? The only thing that really matters is how much enjoyment someone gets from participating in whatever it is they are doing. Sheese, have fun and let others have fun any way they like without someone snubbing their noses at them because it wasn't done in some way or other. Just my two cents worth.

EZ
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

hotrodders

It's a fine line, a very fine line. Got a buddy (retired) that is so broke, he has no car. He does have a dragster frame in his garage that he built himself. Looking for sponsors to help with the engine etc. Doesn't have a computer, but has all the tools for porting/polishing/welding/grinding/fabricating etc.
Can not carry on a conversation outside of cars/engines/bikes/racing etc.
But he doesn't own a hotrod.
Have another friend who is rich. He's having a 32 roadster built. Not laying a finger on it himself. Not a hotrodder? In high school his 28 ford ran without a radiator. Just wasn't room with that big caddy mill in there. He has designed that 32 down to the last muffler clamp. Running his business, and keeping up with his other hot rods (that he did build), just doesn't leave time for him to build it himself. Not a hotrodder?
Then there's the guy I ran into at a party. Wondered if I could help him put AC in his hotrod. He had been talking about his bright yellow coupe with the big engine etc, so I asked him what year it was. He didn't know. This clown paid $30K for it cause he loved hotrods. BS. He was just buying what was cool, so he could be cool.
It's in the soul. No more, no less. The mistake is judging by what they drive, who built it, etc. I figure, if they are on here asking questions, they are a hotrodder. If they can actually answer the questions, they're a superhero.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

To me , a Hot-rodder is someone who modifies their things from stock , to what THEY want it to be. I do it with Guitars all the time , and my rides whenever I get a different one. Modified factory stuff is 'hotrodded' . The person(s) who did the modifications are the 'hotrodders' . I finish concrete for a living. I am a concrete finisher. If you pay me to put a driveway in for you , you are NOT a finisher.
Hot Rods are built , not bought.

All that said , I guess it is like any sport/hobby. Just because you can't swing a club doesn't mean you aren't a golfer. It just means you're a bad one.
Edit:
To clarify .... a hotrodder is someone who hot rods things. same as a cheater cheats or a buyer buys.
Checkbook Hotrodders are nothing more than car enthusiasts. No matter how much you love something , if you aren't the one rodding it out , you aren't a rodder. Car nut? sure. If you have a disability that prevents you from doing it , of course you can't build it , but can still know how.
As a man , there is no excuse for not knowing your vehicle. I had to nearly die laughing when my 21 year old nephew asked me how to change a starter. On a chevy! I made him do it himself , but guided him through it. He's better off than if I had done it for him. Now he knows how.

Last edited by 79C10; 12-30-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Lots of old guys from Texas.
In my book, anyone who loves cars and puts forth an effort to participate in the hobby is a hot rodder. I'm like ezinoregon in that we should always be inclusive. We will need everyone when the greenies try to legislate us out of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy829
It's a fine line, a very fine line. Got a buddy (retired) that is so broke, he has no car. He does have a dragster frame in his garage that he built himself. Looking for sponsors to help with the engine etc. Doesn't have a computer, but has all the tools for porting/polishing/welding/grinding/fabricating etc.
Can not carry on a conversation outside of cars/engines/bikes/racing etc.
But he doesn't own a hotrod.
Have another friend who is rich. He's having a 32 roadster built. Not laying a finger on it himself. Not a hotrodder? In high school his 28 ford ran without a radiator. Just wasn't room with that big caddy mill in there. He has designed that 32 down to the last muffler clamp. Running his business, and keeping up with his other hot rods (that he did build), just doesn't leave time for him to build it himself. Not a hotrodder?
Then there's the guy I ran into at a party. Wondered if I could help him put AC in his hotrod. He had been talking about his bright yellow coupe with the big engine etc, so I asked him what year it was. He didn't know. This clown paid $30K for it cause he loved hotrods. BS. He was just buying what was cool, so he could be cool.
It's in the soul. No more, no less. The mistake is judging by what they drive, who built it, etc. I figure, if they are on here asking questions, they are a hotrodder. If they can actually answer the questions, they're a superhero.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Any one you cut and they bleed 10w40 motor oil.LOL
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

I remember those old time back alley Hot Rodders hating cars like the GTO and SS 396.
As one guy put it "any sissy could get his mommy to buy him a fast car, before all the GTO crap, we use to build our own cars and we were all so happy going 100 mph up and down the blvd".

My dad hung out in California after WWII before coming home to Pittsburgh, they were hand filing there own camshafts back then!

I think a Hot Rodder is a person who is hands on with there car (GTO people included) and drive them.
I know every nut and bolt on my car. During the winter, I jack my car up and go over everything, sometimes in the evening I get on the creeper and just look at everything to get ideas on how to make it better.
During the spring - summer - fall I usually put 15,000 to 20,000 on my car.

Also, you can tell a Hot Rodder buy his hands.

Last edited by pitts64; 12-29-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

What is a hotrodder?

This subject has been thrashed around since forever. I can remember hearing this very question when I was in high school, a very long time ago! Then it was about a kid with a '49 Ford shaved, dropped, loud pipes and a '54 Chebby grill bar. The kid with the channeled A coupe with a flat motor said the "49 wasn't a rod. I didn't know how to answer that question then, and I still don't.

Personally, I like seeing deep pockets buying a rod especially when it's one of mine!

Youngster
Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 AM

to me a hot rodder is anyone that enjoys cars that are special in some way. you can be rich or poor, mechanically inclined or not, really doesnt matter. i myself am a lifelong hot rod builder and driver. i build almost everything on my cars starting from when i was 10 years old putting a caddy v-8 in my dads retired metro milk truck. ive built shag vans, 9 second drag cars, 10 second street cars, v8 vegas and s-10's. too many muscle cars to count all the way to my present projects. an olds powered 37 packard, a 69 pontiac custom s drag car, 2 v-8 s-10's a 69 nova and a 10 second malibu wagon. so even though i'm a hands on kind of rodder, i do not look down upon checkbook rodders, or show car guys, or even the ricers today. theyre all hot rodders in some way, and they all help keep our hobby and our speed shops alive. pete.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.