What is a 'hotrodder'? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

old thread.. but like old hotrods that never die...

A big thanks for all who have shared their insight.

A "hotrod" in the truest sense of the word is probably a pre 1940 vehicle.. that was very factory limited in speed and power.

Most of the younger generation of that era [1930-1939 great depression]could probably only afford what was tired, worn-out, and or discarded in the way of vehicles.

To have a sense of pride in their ride they would do whatever they could to fix these vehicles up. And maybe even make them go faster than what was currently selling on the new car lots.

Since most aftermarket companies were either in their infancy or maybe not even started yet.. these guys had to be very crafty with their modifications.

Fast forward today 60+ years later. There is not a multitude of pre 1940 junkers to fix up or modify. But there is a multitude of 10, 20, 30, and 40 year old cars and trucks to hotrod and modify.

There is also an aftermarket industry now well on its feet.. with online catalogs with miles of parts and pieces to swamp even the most knowledgeable hotrodder to death. [modifications out the window.. just bolt prefit parts on..]

So in the case of changing times.. loosely defined the modern hotrodder with his latest hotrod is taking pride in his ride.. and hotrodding what is currently available to them.. only limited by budget and imagination.

If I see a modern day guy or gal with the hood up doing anything to modify speed, power, and fuel efficiency they are "hotrodding their hotrod!" [not all can rebuild their engines from a million little bitty pieces.. but they are learning and doing.. and that's what counts!]

I'm confident the hotrodders of the days of old.. who have now crossed over.. would not be aiming their middle fingers at us.. but instead giving us the huge thumbs up!

Que up the instrumental song "Green onions"...

If you don't get the gist.. Buy and watch the movie "American Graffiti" from 1973.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM

in my opinion, a hot rodder is anyone who wants to perfect nostalgia. Companies mass produce cars, but a true hot rodder makes a car their own. They can see something like a bone stock 1932 ford and see all the possibilities. Though there is a big difference in "branches" of hot rodding (Rat Rods, street rods, rat fink styled, etc.) they are all connected by one thing. Speed. Speed is how this whole thing got started, ripping apart old coupes to make them lighter and faster. Everyone in the hot rodding world can appreciate a big engine.
And finally a 100% true die hard perfect definition of a hot rodder does all their own work. Its just not the same if its not.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

A real hotrodder doesn't join a hot rod forum and bring up a thread from the dead as his first post.
He shows some respect and introduces himself first. Show some respect and go over to the 'Introduce yourself" section in the Lounge.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
A real hotrodder doesn't join a hot rod forum and bring up a thread from the dead as his first post.
He shows some respect and introduces himself first. Show some respect and go over to the 'Introduce yourself" section in the Lounge.
WOW !!!!

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchaway View Post
in my opinion, a hot rodder is anyone who wants to perfect nostalgia. Companies mass produce cars, but a true hot rodder makes a car their own. They can see something like a bone stock 1932 ford and see all the possibilities. Though there is a big difference in "branches" of hot rodding (Rat Rods, street rods, rat fink styled, etc.) they are all connected by one thing. Speed. Speed is how this whole thing got started, ripping apart old coupes to make them lighter and faster. Everyone in the hot rodding world can appreciate a big engine.
And finally a 100% true die hard perfect definition of a hot rodder does all their own work. Its just not the same if its not.
oh,please, most of these so called hotrodders drive like grandma..
anyone that loves cars, and loves changing the car into what THEY think is kool.. is a hot rodder..
no matter if they buck the norm.. and build a 80's car or take a junker out of a junkyard and build off that.. even if they have to farm out some of the work.. a smart hotrodder knows his limitations.. is honest enough to know when to farm out a part of a build.. be it an engine, trans,paint, don't matter..
I'm gonna catch a bunch of heat for this.. but there is more hotrodders at the dragstrip with imports than at most goodguys shows..
same with solocross races..
I've been into cars since 3y/o (1973) do take that for what it's worth..
but todays "rods" tend to be more show and flash than GOoooooooo!!!!
and thats fine.. I'm more the muscle cars and 80's cars as thats what was around when I was in school..
the best thing to happen to this hobby.. hot rodding was the rat rod..
love it or hate it.. it let cars show up that where not show cars and not get laughed off the show field.. at one time Gray Bakersfields hot rod wasn't allowed on the goodguys show field..
the other thing is the movement toward enjoying and DRIVING the cars..
instead of the trailor/garage queens.. D/F's power tour Idea and others put that back on the map... the don't let perfect get in the way of done..
and enjoyed..
I guess but your thinking I'm not a hotrodder as I'm into newer cars to build.. but still love the other stuff..
I also don't have the chops to build a ground up rod.. but someday I will..
I hot rodder is a person with the love for the cars and the will to make it "THEIRS" be it the 30's junk thats build but unsafe at any speed, the 50's lead sled or hipo build, the 60's low riders, the 70 muscle cars,the vans,the 80's rebuilding of hp.. the 90's full package builds, or todays.
order everything out of a catolog. builds..
they all have their place...EVEN the import guys that are more than a fart pipe and bling,,
like music every generation hates the next gen's music, and in the car world the same can be said about the cars people build..
some love them all. some are era snobs..
here there is more of the love of all cars.. well other than the "come on man thread"..
the sooner we all learn to band together the better the hobby as a whole will be..
peace
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have to tell you, I dig seeing the little imports all dumped with ground effect kits and what not, I am man enough to know that a lot of those little four bangers would blow the doors off my American muscle car!

Have you ever been to a drifting event? That is a blast and I can sure see why they like it and YES they are hotrodders!

There was a shop down the street from where I work that did those late model hot rods, imports, Mustangs, Porsches, you name it. I miss them, I use to love seeing and HEARING those guys as they went past where I work some REAL hot rods I'll tell you that!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I'm man enough to say one of them ***** little imports blew the doors off my vette one day.. We was both running side by side and he was making his car JUMP on side of me.. This was at around 75 or 80 MPH... I looked at him and said Ok !!!! Let's Play young Man !!!

Well it looked like I just pulled on the side of the road and stopped..

So be carefull playing with them little imports .... They will get you...
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

I like the oldies music, Holly, del Shannon, everly bros, petty, eagles, Floyd, stones, beatles, lynne, etc...What the hell is kanye west/bieber/swift? A reflection of the decline?

I am man enough to love well figured ladies. Women come before any car, and are a POSITIVE force.

I AM THE NEGATIVE! And live with it. Sometimes I try to enjoy it. Embrace the dark side, . It is in you.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Women come before any car, and are a POSITIVE force.

I've been hanging around with the wrong women.......
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

I haven't commented on this thread, so...

Back to the original question...

I HELPED to build a street rod just out of high school. ('66-'69) It was on early Ford pickup rails, with an early Olds and a '33 Plymouth coupe body. The body was too far gone, so we switched to a Fiat coupe body. My buddy and I did ALL of the work except machining and paint. (Now I custom paint for a living!) :-)

In those days a "hot rod" was a pre-war body... so my own projects were NOT considered hot rods until very recently.

Since then I have built tons of cars myself... but always post-war. I went into custom painting for others in about 1972... then full time in 1986. I've painted lots of rods because that's what I do.

To answer the question... I personally am NOT a "hot rodder". To me those will always be pre-war cars... and I have never owned one that was finished... though I've "moved some" and worked on MANY! I am working on two right now!

To me it's VERY SIMPLE! The bottom line is... YOU HAVE TO OWN ONE... AND YOU HAVE TO BE A PART OF THOSE ACTIVITIES.

I don't believe the car has to be your total creation, since in my 48 years of deep involvement, I have never met ANYONE who has all of the skills. I have much more skill than most builders... but I don't do it all either.

To me, condemning people who hire others to help is ridiculous! Those guys who need some kind of help make up the majority of the hobby.

Those who condemn them are usually simply unable to afford to hire the help. 99% of the time that changes the second their income goes up.

Maybe we all need to give each other a break, and enjoy the passion we all share! Trying to analyze it... or make others agree with our own beliefs is not bringing anything good to the table. This hobby is to be enjoyed with others "plain and simple".

Now! Quit analyzing this to death, and tell me....when is the next gathering? LOL!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I haven't commented on this thread, so...

Back to the original question...

I HELPED to build a street rod just out of high school. ('66-'69) It was on early Ford pickup rails, with an early Olds and a '33 Plymouth coupe body. The body was too far gone, so we switched to a Fiat coupe body. My buddy and I did ALL of the work except machining and paint. (Now I custom paint for a living!) :-)

In those days a "hot rod" was a pre-war body... so my own projects were NOT considered hot rods until very recently.

Since then I have built tons of cars myself... but always post-war. I went into custom painting for others in about 1972... then full time in 1986. I've painted lots of rods because that's what I do.

To answer the question... I personally am NOT a "hot rodder". To me those will always be pre-war cars... and I have never owned one that was finished... though I've "moved some" and worked on MANY! I am working on two right now!

To me it's VERY SIMPLE! The bottom line is... YOU HAVE TO OWN ONE... AND YOU HAVE TO BE A PART OF THOSE ACTIVITIES.

I don't believe the car has to be your total creation, since in my 48 years of deep involvement, I have never met ANYONE who has all of the skills. I have much more skill than most builders... but I don't do it all either.

To me, condemning people who hire others to help is ridiculous! Those guys who need some kind of help make up the majority of the hobby.

Those who condemn them are usually simply unable to afford to hire the help. 99% of the time that changes the second their income goes up.

Maybe we all need to give each other a break, and enjoy the passion we all share! Trying to analyze it... or make others agree with our own beliefs is not bringing anything good to the table. This hobby is to be enjoyed with others "plain and simple".

Now! Quit analyzing this to death, and tell me....when is the next gathering? LOL!

Well said!!!

Duke
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Great Thread!

Personally (I'm 66), "Kevin45" said it best, waaay back on page 1 of this thread...but I'm flexible on the definition. He just said it exactly as I view what a Hot Rodder is...doesn't make me right. It's just my opinion. I saved a 1959 Ford Galaxie sedan literally from the crusher, rebuilt her from the ground up myself until she was better than the day she rolled off the LA assembly line, and gave her a second life as a 1960's style, back yard, amateur built hot rod. It's just a fun car and my wife and I love cruising in it. I get stopped all the time by people (and sheriffs and highway patrol in 3 states, so far) who just want to take pictures and talk about the car. I raced it 3 years in a row at Bonneville in the USFRA "130 Club". Here's the pic from the 2010 meet... WOS 2010 Pix (5th down on the left, also in the background in the 4th down on the left). Hot Rods are just plain coooool! (and you never see a hot rod parked outside a shrink's office).
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm View Post
the only true rodder in my eyes is someone that takes a car that is nothing and turns it in to exactly what they want, with there own two hands. and does most if not all of the work themselves.

i hate these yuppy rich wantabee rodders that just pay for a car to be built, and then claim all the glory and hard work that actually went into building it.
you want to know what a true rodder is? hang around here a while. about 90% of the people here are true rodders.
+1 (What he said ^)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Buddy of mine has a '57 Oldsmobile. He's been workin' on it a little at a time, and done pretty much all the work himself. It's not a show queen, but will be an excellent daily driver/rat/Olds 88.
He's been looking for the side mouldings, (doors, and 1/4 panels) There are none, for his car. So he's going the "rat route", and it's turning out to be a decent "retro Rat". Complete with lake pipes, dual spots, Moon disc hubcaps, black primer, an' fuzzy dice. He's done it all himself. He's a hotrodder.

The guy that brings a car to the shop and sez "build this", may be an enthusiast, but is no Rodder.
The guy who takes a 34 Plymouth, with no engine or tranny, and takes what he has on hand, an old Merc. flathead with no distributor, and a 5 speed tranny out of an S-10, and mount them in the Plymouth, then fire the merc. with a magneto from an R1830, is a hotrodder.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I've been hanging around with the wrong women.......
Pugsy!!! Your alive!! Cool.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-22-2013), MARTINSR (05-22-2013)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.