Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What is a 'hotrodder'?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool thread, tough subject.

Personally I've always hated group definitions, each group will always further tighten the meaning and before you know it you become an elitist, putting each person into a slot to validate your own position.

Street rodder
Hot rodder
Car Enthusiast
What's the new one for cars... Resto-Mod? So a Resto-modder? Ugh!

Right now Muscle Car is the big one. And even that term is getting broken into an elitist category of it must be original to qualify, but that's another thread.
When I bought my 1968 Firebird in 1976, the Musclecar term was unheard of. After all the modifications I did to my car back then everyone called it a Hot Rod, I still do.

But I thought the original definition of a Hot Rod was pre war, modified. So by that definition a Hot Rodder would be one that modified (hot rodded) a pre war (WWII) car.
I've owned over 20 something cars, oldest being a 55 Chevy so by defnition I wouldn't qualify as a Hot Rodder?

But looks like the majority here calls it a state of mind and with that definition I'd have to agree.
What you drive, how you got it, or even if you own one shouldn't define your position as a Hotrodder.

Unless of course we're going to categorize each of us. I surely hope not. It's much to broad a, uh... Sport? Hobby? Interest?
Here we go again. What would be the definition of it?

In the end Hot rodding is just all about having fun and sharing your interest of modified cars with other like minded people. By that definition we all qualify.