Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What is a 'hotrodder'?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Naw, you ain't a snob. You got too much heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
I guess I'm one of the "snobs". If I had the $150,000 to hire it done, I'd spend some of it on getting some old, interesting relic in the weeds and some of it on some more tools and see where things went from there. At least half of it would go toward some scholarship foundation somewhere.

If I love music and buy CDs, does that make me a musician?

That tells it, IMO. You either get your hands in it or you're a fan, not a hotrodder. Writing a check or waving a credit card just is not enough to cover the price of entry.

I've been a fan for years, postponing building my own hotrod for family and obligations. The number of people I've ever trusted to do any work on my vehicles wouldn't use up all the digits of one hand. Maintaining, repairing and modifying (minorly) the vehicles for immediate family and friends over the years does not make me a hotrodder.

I've rebuilt engines for myself and friends and the only one that was ruined was the first I ever tried, a 1200 cc VW Beetle engine I pulled with a screwdriver, vise grips and adjustable wrench (all the tools I owned then). Dropping a 1500cc Karman Ghia engine into that Beetle didn't make me a hotrodder. Buying a beater truck with a 350 already adapted to it didn't make me a hotrodder. Rebuilding it and modifying a few things to work with what I had didn't make me a hotrodder. Reading and dreaming didn't make me a hotrodder.

It's my turn now. I'm building my car (well, actually I'm still doing disassembly). When I can drive it on the highway, I will feel comfortable calling myself a hotrodder. Until then, I'm a long-time fan and a wannabe.