What is the ideal four speed tranny to put behind a mildly aggressive 454 ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is the ideal four speed tranny to put behind a mildly aggressive 454 ?

I want to convert my 79 k5 4x4 to 2wd 4 speed looking for 550 to 600 hp (eventually) sitting at around 368 or so (with good tuning of my carb ) so I'm pretty sure a 700 r4 will get it done but is there a better choice? especially when I start adding power????

Motors a early eighties late seventies 454
Any advice is better than where I'm at

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I had a '76 2WD Blazer, kept it for years as a DD/parts chaser. I'm wondering why you'd want to go to all the trouble to convert a 4WD to 2WD when the 4WD are generally worth more (if working). What I'm getting at, is couldn't you sell or trade the truck and buy a PU or even a 2WD Blazer (although they're uncommon) easier than converting?

But in any event, what trans you need will depend on if the truck will be used for towing and/or used as a TRUCK, or if it'll have an easier life of a cruiser, or not used as a truck.

If it'll see a lot of heavy duty use, there's the 4L80. If not a 4L60/700R4 will do. At some point (like how you will use it and how much power the engine is making), one will make more sense than the other. The mods to make them stronger are fairly well known and being as how I'm not a trans expert by any stretch, I'll leave those details to someone w/hands-on experience.

Don't neglect the rear end, either. It's a "12-bolt", but not as beefy as the car 12-bolt. At some point it will need attention too.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I'm definitely onboard with Cobalt on this one. Are you really planning on getting rid of the transfer case and front axle and installing the IFS ? That is a LOT of work. Selling what you've got and buying a 2wd would be much more cost effective and much less work. Pull your 454 and replace it with junkyard 350 to sell the vehicle. Easy engine change on that vintage.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:37 PM

The issues I'm having are the turbo 35O trans is NOT doing justice AT ALL and my transfer case don't function rite I'm almost curious as to if I just have linkages hooked up wrong or if I'm just not as smart as a 33 year old 4x4
Don't get me wrong 4x4 is why I own the damn thing in the first place as I traded a 250 mph bike for this truck I've grown up in a faithfully blue oval world and avoided the bowtie at all cost but this blazer has made me a believer
Anyhow if I was to stay 4x4 which from what both of yous says is the more logistical idea what should I do about getting a four speed behind that big block? And is there an ideal 4x4 setup that would be nice for this truck? It's DEFINATLY not gonna pull anything heavier than a bike trailer as its DEFINATLY just a street queen by ALL means I just hate it running out at fifty I know that has to do with diff gearing as well so for safe measure I'll tell you guys now there 4.11 front and back ( according to the guy I bought it from )
Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I'll confess right off that I'm not entirely sure what trans will bolt up to your transfer case. I think that it is the 200R4, but may be the 700R4. I'm sure somebody here knows. As for the transfer case problems. If you have the fulltime 4WD transfer case that came without lockout front hubs, they are notorious for the chain and sprockets wearing out over time, and it doesn't matter if the transfercase is in a Ford, Mopar, or GM, the symptoms are the same, it bangs and jumps. If that is the problem that you are experiencing, the sprockets and chain are replaceable. If it were me, I would put the part time 4WD kit in the transfercase at the same time which eliminates the differential gears in the transfercase, and install a set of lockout hubs while you are at it. I hope this helps. On second thought, maybe pick up a 4 speed AOD trans and tranfercase from a salvage yard and be done with it.

Last edited by adantessr; 12-26-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:08 PM

No it has the manual locking hubs already I have climbed under it and checked the drive shaft prior to locking the hubs and it turned the universals on both sides but after locking the hubs there's nothing and I'd I try to drive it in 4 wheel it hums something serious idk what this issue is from I have been told that different size gear drives in front than back or visa versa could cause this any ideas?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Get a well built th-350 and it will take care of your problems. With today's parts, they will handle 600 hp easily. You'll be disappointed with a 4 speed and the big block. I've gone the other direction twice. The auto, whichever you choose, is a better 4x4 trans than the old style, granny gear, four speed. Also, those t-cases are easy to rebuild. Have somebody go through it and make sure it's a true part time case and not a converted one. There were a number of cheap conversions, including hubs, but, IMO, only one good one made by DNE. That could be your problem.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.