Hot Rod Forum banner

What if: faking a '69 Camaro on an S-10

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  JamesMayberryIII 
#1 ·
There's enough repro sheetmetal available to do the entire exterior, everything visible, and most of the rest of the shell also. It has the same layout and WB as a 2WD RCSB S-10, which can be had running for well under $1000. There are many swap kits for SBC and LSx into S-10s. Explorer axle swaps are easy for S-10s, I've done it, and that'll hold 1000 HP.
The S-10 track width is slightly narrow, but that just means deep-dish wide wheels. Big-brakes is easy for S-10s, and cheap too.
The biggest issue seems to me, having to channel the body over the frame.
Money: Let's assume ANY '69 Camaro is at least $5000, and double that for a rust-free one that moves under it's own power with a V8. Let's assume free labor, doing it at home in the garage. And the sheetmetal at $2k.
I think I could do it for $5K, ( which I'll never have ) thus saving $5K versus just buying a real one. But it'd probably take a year.
So I can't sell it, noone would pay $30K for my year of labor. You can buy the Dynacorn shell for $13,500, plus a Nova front subframe and rear axle, plus a junkyard 350 / 700R-4, and still be under $15,000.
Just an idea I had since long before Dynacorn. Back then, I considered changing a '75-'81 into a '67-'68, but same basic theory. These days even an '81 is unobtainable for $1000, dAMMIT!

See less See more
#2 ·
You want an honest opinion?

Just keeping it real.

You know what you do, you don't build a fake Camaro when you have swap meets full of other cars that are just as cool (or cooler) than a Camaro for a reasonable price! I was just at a show there was an amazingly nice original paint, every single spec of chrome was near perfect, a very nice 65 Dodge dart hardtop with bucket seats and a console, it was $4000!

Just a bare repro Camaro body would be MANY times that!

Loose the thought that the Camaro is the only car on earth and go have some fun with another make and model.

Brian

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
You will spend a heck of a lot more than 2K in sheet metal parts. Your way off the number there. Lots of parts your leaving out.

Also why not just buy a frame since they make that repo too. Just keep in mind it cost about 30K to build a 69 camaro from a catalog. I dont see how you can plan on getting this to work for much less and still not be a hunk of junk.

Just buy a 69 camaro and fix the rust that will be a much easier project than making a car from scratch without in inner shell. Remember that more than half the car is not body color its steel under and inside the panels. That steel is how things get bolted together. So your going to need to buy it or build it.

In the end you will find the couple grand of the chassis a cheap price compared to all the other parts you will need. Nothing from the s10 will help you make a 69 camaro.

You can buy a car in nice shape by the time you get this project done. You will be able to buy some parts realize how far away you are from actually making it work and just give up. Might as well just get a car thats real and driving since in the end you will spend that much. and to make it as fast and good handling and safe as a real 69 it will cost twice as much as a good used car. Just dont buy one from barret jackson.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
OP, I am sorry for my smart ars responses, well not really but sort of.

There are a million cars out there for you, they all make more sense than what you are proposing, I am sorry but those are the facts.

Brian

#6 ·
Don't rub it in! OMG I wanted to get his number but I don't want to spend the money, but I should have! I could have sold the Falcon for that much, I was being dumb really.

Brian

#11 ·
MartinSr.,
I tried that, I have a '69 Opel Katett Rallye 2-door coupe, noone cares, my own teens are losing interest. Probably gonna hafta scrap it at a loss.
I once had a '71 Camaro, back around '95-'96, when it wasn't worth a grand, couldn't get my thousand back out of it, either. Had a lot of '70s-'80s 'Camaros before and since.
I'm not one to be brand loyal, but the less-popular cars don't make good projects for those on real-world budgets. And ANY Mopar is going to cost at least twice as much to build as a comparable Chevy. That can't be helped, just accept the fact and move on.
Likewise, the '69 Camaro is the most coveted car on earth, and always will be. No other car ever got it so right in so many of the most important ways. That's why no other car has more aftermarket support. A few have as much, but not more.

#13 ·
One of the most important things for car guys is the look and the 57 Chevy is the one that got the most things right.

Too many out there, so I will never own one, but it is probably one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

IMHO that is....

Now, other guys will have their opinion so no one car is as we describe.

#12 ·
I think your #'s are way off... Everyone knows I'm the first to say step outside the box and build it.. On this.. I would have to say NO.. :nono::nono:
To many cool cars out there to build...Build a home made car out of your head.. Something WILD !!! Much easier...

#14 ·
A 1932 Ford Victoria would be my first choice. I agree, the '57 Chevy is a nice one, but it's been over done and too many out there. The Vicky isn't that common and isn't too long or too short. It's just the right size. It's like between a Vega and a Chevy II 2 dr. S/W. :thumbup:

#16 ·
Kind of freaked me out when Chip did that Elco, the workmanship was his usual perfection, but no matter what he did to the back for that year you just can't fix ugly.

By no means would I build a 69 Camaro on a S10 and I agree with everyone that there are a million out there "but not in a practical price range". I've been hunting for the right one for many many years. I refuse to pay the absolutely insane price people ask because I want a done one and I'm not willing to settle for something I dont want that people are asking 35-50K for. And I surely wouldnt pay that price for 325 HP and 308's, LOL...

IMO if your going to build a 69 Camaro you got to do it right and thats going to cost a boat load of money when all is said and done....
Back in 2009 I saw someone document a complete 69 build from scratch. Every single part number and price was documented in his thread and It cost him 65K when all was said and done. (but that was using 100% BRAND NEW Aftermarket or NOS parts).

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
I hear all that, for those body parts, that is just the tip of the iceburg! Start adding door latches and mouldings and windows and lights and you are at $50k REAL fast!

The whole idea to "save money" is absolutely nuts!

Brian

#19 ·
LOL.. 15,000 will not build a kit car... I hand made this frame for my 41 kit car.. Like you see it here is well over 15,000 LOL.. Give it a try.. You will soon find out just how much it really cost... It isn't the big things that run up the cost, It's the small stuff.. :D

Your looking at over 15,000 right here with no labor because I built it myself..

Attachments

#22 ·
I would not even want to try and add up what I am into the Un-Civil T build. but I am having fun and there is no price that can be placed on that. yes I can and did get a junkyard motor and trans, the rear came from a take out from a car repair and the steel came from the local steel vendor. But then there are shocks and wheels and tires, electrical paint and what ever else is involved. All adds up even if you are frugal..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.