Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (
-   -   What if what if? (

mojonelo117 08-28-2006 01:46 PM

What if what if?
so what if i put cleveland heads on my 302 im building? can i call it a boss. or just a 302 with cleavland heads? and what intake manifold would i need? a cleveland as well?

PharaohChris 08-28-2006 02:19 PM

IIRC its a custom intake. I had a chance at one of them about ten years ago when they were somewhat popular. They wanted $500 for the intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds. Probably a bargain, but I went with a supercharger instead.

mojonelo117 08-28-2006 03:19 PM

so i can get them off of weiand or edelbrock? what if i wanted say a supercharger what would i use then?

PharaohChris 08-28-2006 04:04 PM

I don't remember who made the intake.

The supercharger I went with was the B&M 144, now made by Weiand, they now make a 177 too I believe for the SBF. I used mine on a Fox-bodied Mustang GT (older carb version). The biggest pain was, and remains to be, the tensioner pully. When I bought the kit it called for the spring type to be removed (bracket actually cut off the alternater bracket) and a screw-type tensioner off of an early 80's Granada?? (I think) installed. I also had to extend the thermostat housing upward. This was all due to the placement of the distributer on the 302, that is, in the way of where the drive would normally go on say, an SBC.

mojonelo117 08-28-2006 04:48 PM

interesting, with the 302 already a high rev engine and putting the cleveland heads and a turbo seems like it would be pretty mean but it also sounds like a crap load of revolutions, what about overheating and would it mess with the engine in any other way?

dbdbb 08-28-2006 05:09 PM

I didn't see anyone answer the other part of Your question, no it would not be a Boss. It would be a 302 with Cleveland heads. I believe Ford Racing offers an intake manifold for that setup. I think their website describes everything needed to swap the heads, there are some coolant passage holes that need to be modified to put them on. I think it's "Ford Racing online catalog". I had the paper catalog and they had all the details in that.

mojonelo117 08-28-2006 07:57 PM

thanks! for the info on where to get the intake manifold. so what made a boss a "boss" what heads, was it like a sportsman 302 maybe? what gave boss its name? what made the 351 and 427 a "boss" for that matter?

dbdbb 08-28-2006 08:26 PM

All the Boss engines had screw in freeze plugs and four bolt main caps, I looked up the Ford Racing catalog today, and it is now in a pdf file. Towards the end of the file on the pages (not sure actual page numbers) between 220 and 227 there is a good description of most popular Ford engines. Their website is [URL=]

1969NovaSS 08-28-2006 08:45 PM

They are called clevor motors. Do a surch on this board and you will find all the information you will need.You will need special pistons,intake, and exhaust for it to work.

mojonelo117 08-28-2006 09:06 PM

wow! so its a lot more than just bolting on some heads and an intake! i wonder if its worth the effort, or how much more performance im gonna get. at least itll be

dbdbb thanks for the link! i didnt know ford made any four bolts at all. interesting how many ways you can go with the 302. i wonder if you can do windsor heads or maybe even modified heads. as long as their all the same four inch bore right?

mojonelo117 08-29-2006 02:06 PM

btw, besides adjusting my carb, any easy ways to get my engine running leaner?

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.