What intake do you use, and why? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 04:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Firestone was right on manifold selection. It all depends on engine setup as to how an engine will perform. Right now I'm running an Edelbrock Torker on my Pontiac, (of course I've had this intake for years) but for testing purposes I'm thinking of pulling it in favor of of a stock intake with a one inch spacer to see if the enginepulls the same of harder. Of course I'll be using a stock intake (68-71) on the engine in the wifes 69 Pontiac project that I'll be starting in a few months and I'll be using the Torker on the new 412 that I'm going to be building before long along with possibly a custom grind cam. The Torker has very good breathing potential in the higher rpm's and is an excellent intake with my four speed while after a friend did some testing the Performer RPM is a better intake for a modified Pontiac with and automatic. One reason for the Edelbrock is they have done extensive testing on their products and alot has gone into the designs they have came up with. One of these days I'd like to try an Offenhouser 2-4 intake to see if I could wake the ol' Poncho up even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 10:23 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i love that injection 454, where the hell did you find it and how much and did it work?

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-15-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:45 AM

That's an Enderle style system, easy to find. Either just search for Enderle on yahoo and you'll get a bunch, or for a slightly more custom system go to www.kinsler.com
Old 04-15-2004, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

I run a weiand 8004 intake on my 78 350 Camaro because that is what was on special when I ordered it from PAW in 1986 when it was originally used on the 305 that preceeded my 350.

My 79 305 Camaro(soon to be 383) has an edelbrock performer on it, mid eighties vintage also because that is what the 350 it originally came with had on it. The 305 was an in between motors motor that was installed in 1987

Both cars were originally 2 barrel cars, the main reason they got aftermarket intakes. I would never have bothered to swap them out if they were already factory 4 barrel set ups. The stock stuff works pretty good too.

I have an edelbrock performer(I think, it's been in the attick for four years) that I bought for my 360 Duster to replace it's cast iron 2 barrel set up that came with the engine. It was an Ebay find that came with an almost new 600 cfm holley carb with electric choke that is currently on the 78 Camaro. I wanted to run an original cast iron four barrel intake and carb but just don't want to learn how to work on a different carb. Everything I have ever owned has been Holley fed.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

original 1969 poncho intake.... Why?
It is on the car
The car is running
I am using what time and money I have to fix broken things, I will worry about upgrades when I am not worrying about it surviving....

Also, it makes absolutely 0 horsepower... just like every other intake on the market.... BUT, when combined with my engine it makes some horsepower.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

its an enderle syetem, but there are others outthere, if i had my pick again id propably get a crower instead. the enderle doesnt have integral thermostat housing. the stack units are for sale for anything from 800-2500 bucks, dont pay over 1000$ just wait instead.

a complete setup from hilborn costs 4500 but i find that price just rediculous... if you want i can send some pics of how i converted it

(you can PM Turbo S10 and get a heads up in a DIY fuelinjection CPU setup that wont set you back more than 100 bucks)
Old 04-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:

I like the rpm air gar
Old 04-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by deuce_454
its an enderle syetem, but there are others outthere, if i had my pick again id propably get a crower instead. the enderle doesnt have integral thermostat housing. the stack units are for sale for anything from 800-2500 bucks, dont pay over 1000$ just wait instead.

a complete setup from hilborn costs 4500 but i find that price just rediculous... if you want i can send some pics of how i converted it

(you can PM Turbo S10 and get a heads up in a DIY fuelinjection CPU setup that wont set you back more than 100 bucks)
Hey Deuce,

Have you given genboard any serious thought?

Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Like someone said in an early post...What ever is cheap at the swap meets. I get a few Edlebrock intakes for free a few times a year. I won't pay more than $50.
Performer on the 350 I'm building for the Z-28....
Torker II on the shelf...
I had a Offenhouser (sic?) on the 396...
The 427 has an Edelbrock too..came on the car when I bought it.
If I want to make sick power with a small block Chev I go with a Victor Junior!
I would like to try my hand at a sheetmetal intake sometime or even Carbon Fiber....
I doubt I would gain the power a more knowledgeable builder would make. But, it would be cool for looks and even sweeter that I hand built it.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:17 AM

Cruz believe it or not the stock Pontiac intake (68-71) were some of the finest ever made. Several years ago Jim Hand did some intake comparisons with several intakes on a 455 powered 72 LeMans wagon and the stock intake outpowered all the aftermarkets. As I said in my previous post I'm thinking of putting one back on my 71 GTO to pick it up alittle with the Lunati cam that I'm presently running as the cam doesn't match the Torker that I have on it right now but I will be using the Torker on my 412 when it's together.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:17 AM

Last photo:

Hey Duece, That is a cool induction system, and I'd thought about usin something like that someday, but I was just wondering. Do you use that on the street? Often? Do you worry about sucking bugs and sand into your block? I've seen rods with screens on the stacks, but that just don't seem very effective to me.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

S10 yes im set on the genboard, but im waiting to the very last minute to buy it, i have the car in pieces soy and id hate to see that a new revision was out there before i needed it

and to busted, as you can see in the pic. the stacke are removable and i have a set with weber style K&N filters, but the funnels look cooler so i drive to shows and meets with the filters, but install the stacks for show and racing (and there is nothing better than walking up to it and pulling the rope that connects the eight tennis-balls in the stacks. yank them out with a careless gesture and get in the car...
Old 04-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Grusome Goat
Cruz believe it or not the stock Pontiac intake (68-71) were some of the finest ever made. Several years ago Jim Hand did some intake comparisons with several intakes on a 455 powered 72 LeMans wagon and the stock intake outpowered all the aftermarkets. As I said in my previous post I'm thinking of putting one back on my 71 GTO to pick it up alittle with the Lunati cam that I'm presently running as the cam doesn't match the Torker that I have on it right now but I will be using the Torker on my 412 when it's together.
Yea, I read your post in one of the pontiac guru threads about that. Just for the record though, I never said what I would upgrade to if I was going to... If I was really going to upgrade, I would like to build the engine up for forced induction. Since that is a long way down the road, I have not decided on what form other than I want it to fit under the hood Only thing I don't like about my current intake is the look. It was painted at some point and the paint is pure crap and makes the thing look pretty ugly to me. I will probably get it powder coated before too long so it looks better.

Oh, almost forgot.... My name is Croz with an 'o' not a 'u'
Old 04-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by deuce_454
S10 yes im set on the genboard, but im waiting to the very last minute to buy it, i have the car in pieces soy and id hate to see that a new revision was out there before i needed it

Very good idea. I am running the old v2.2 board and I think I am about the only one. Everyone has decided to wait or already moved to the v3 design. Problem is that I am having trouble as we speak with both my boards and I suspect a firmware issue. Since firmware is compiled differently on v2.2 boards, I have noone to scope with my firmware on their board to varify the problem. I may have to move to the later board myself, but I already have money invested in the v2.2..........oh well, just money.

Chris
Old 04-16-2004, 09:02 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
Very good idea. I am running the old v2.2 board and I think I am about the only one. Everyone has decided to wait or already moved to the v3 design. Problem is that I am having trouble as we speak with both my boards and I suspect a firmware issue. Since firmware is compiled differently on v2.2 boards, I have noone to scope with my firmware on their board to varify the problem. I may have to move to the later board myself, but I already have money invested in the v2.2..........oh well, just money.

Chris

Huh?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.