What intake do you use, and why? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question What intake do you use, and why?

There is so many intakes now it's getting hard to choose, so I thought I would ask you guys what you use and for what reason, and (if you know) how much HP it makes.

Thanks.

And no fighting!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Edelbrock performer 2101. reason i choose it is because it works good with stock heads, or so i was told. no idea about how much more HP, i would like to know.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap. Not sure the horsepower but i like it.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Edelbrock RPM airgap, I chose it because of the separation of the hot engine valley and the air/fuel charge. It makes sense and seems to work very well.

I must say though, it works better in the first 10 minutes the car is running, after that I think the manifold heats up with the rest of the engine anyway.

HP, I don't know, but I can tell you it was a VERY noticable difference over the stock steel intake using an adaptor plate for the Edelbrock carb. I don't know what helped more, eliminating the adaptor plate or the actual manifold swap.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Older Edelbrock Performers on both my 350s. Reason, they were cheap at a swap meet $75 cdn and they have bolt patterns for square bore and spread bore carbs. work just fine for what I want.

Budget RVs
Old 04-12-2004, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Edelbrock Performer EPS. A little better than the "stock" Performer, and it matches well with the 500 CFM Performer carb that I am running. Edelbrock recommended this setup for my 283 and I am thoroughly happy with it.

Last edited by 345coupe; 04-13-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I used to think edelbrock made the best performance parts, and I used them on everything. Now I realize that I was probably the victim of edelbrock's advertising budget! Edelbrock advertises more than any other performance parts maker. They're great bolt-on parts, but I don't think they're the best stuff out there. Edelbrock makes "no brainer" parts. Actually their higher end intakes are very nice, but the performer (not the new EPS, not sure about that one) in many tests barely makes any more power than stock cast iron intakes! I'm going to be using a weiand stealth on my 388 motor. It has better hood clearance and a wider RPM range than the RPM performer, and I've heard from reliable sources that its the better intake hands down. Don't get caught up in advertising and hearsay! Edelbrock stuff is good, but its probably NOT the best you can get.

K
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I'm using an OEM Z-28/LT-1 (late 60's, early 70's) aluminum dual-plane hi-rise in my 350. It's always been considered the best of the OEM intakes and has held up well against the aftermarket intakes of similar design. I'm guesstimating around 380 HP or so with my combo. Plus it's nice to see the OEM intake under the hood of my 69 Camaro.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

I responded to this same post in another forum. Depends on application. EAdelbrock has some good intake choices, & so do others, just depends on application. My 454 currently has a Edelbrock Performer. When the time comes where I dicide to rebuild it, & up the level a lil more Ill probably use a Wieand Action +. John
Old 04-12-2004, 03:00 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Wow, all Edelbrocks so far.

I was thinking the same thing about the Performer manifold, it looks like a stock replacement.
The Weiand Action Plus, Holly HLY-300-38 and the Holly SysteMAX look like stock replacements too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Air-Gap intake looks good but I don't really like the opening between the top and bottom plane.

The Weiand Stealth looks like a pretty good intake. Anybody use one?
How about Offenhauser?

And yes I have the same thread going over here ClubHotRod to see which way it goes.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i got an older performer for my 326 i got at a swap meet for cheap $125, okay not that cheap, and it's not on yet either. i have a rpm on my truck, not the right intake for down low torque, but way better for romping on the throttle, even tho my cam quits at 5500 or less. i am planning on using either the stock intake-probably on my current rebuild just so i can say it's all stock and original (72 camaro) or i might use an rpm cause my friend wants to trade me his in exchange for my older torker intake that used to be on my truck when i had a isky 270 cam in it. i also like the stock intake because i dont have any extra carbs and the stock quadrajunk will fit on it. i had a 750 holley (too big) and some other carb, but a "friend"took them to clean them and i havent seen him since and don't think i'm likely too.

i guess they are all edelbrocks mainly cause thats whats around. i guess that's whats around cause they are the cheapest. saw great dyno results in an intake shoot out for the air gap tho, in hrm a couple years back. i've seen a wider range of operating ranges on not only the wiend but the holley intake as well. i think they are both under the same roof now.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:18 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I have always used Edelbrock intakes, and they have worked well for me. As far as which one to use, the main thing is that you want to match the powerband of your heads and cam. If you have a stock cam and heads engine, the performer would be a good choice, if you have something that is souped up a little and the cam and heads will like to run in a 1500-6500 powerband, a Performer RPM would be a good choice. If you have something that is going to spend its time in the 3500-8000 range, a victor series would be a good choice. Each intake will make different power on different motors. It is all about creating the right amount of air velocity in your motor; that starts with getting the right size carb and ends at the right size exhaust, it is all about matching the parts.

Adam
Old 04-12-2004, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Enderle stack fuel injection, 2-7/16 inch butterflies 6 inch stacks 72 lb 2ohm injectors

just cuz it sounds and look damn kewl!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 03:24 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Professional Products have a line of manifolds similar to Edelbrock's. According to their (PP's) figures, they are better performers than E's and others. The PP's are definely priced better than E's, and the guys using them seem pretty happy with them.

YIKES!!! There's a MAN in my computer!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

sorry, i just thought it would be a cool pic to post, it is me by the way....

the only other pic i have is this one and i look like some singer from a boyband

sorry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.