what junk yard heads...help me build my motor for cheap! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what junk yard heads...help me build my motor for cheap!

Yep another budget build...

I have a 350/4bolt engine with casting number: 3970010. Heads are 78cc heads, but was wanting to pull something from the yard. Will vortec heads fit?

My goal is to get at least 300 hp as easily and affordable as possible. I dont know how I saved enough to get the block to the machine shop, but it will go, as soon as I find some good heads first.... or recommed?

-Jay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 PM

junkyard heads

page 5 of the classifieds, 69-70 dbl. hump heads in good shape "advertised" for $400. these are usually good for 3-400 hp if all else is comparable,
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

junkyard heads

bt nthe way these heads are in college station
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevonniespapi
Will vortec heads fit?
Yes, but require an intake.

Professional Products sells a couple Eddy knock-offs, p/n 52007 is a Performer knock-off for around $130, IIRC.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I'd go for the vortec's, you can get new iron ones for around $500. you'll need a manifold for the vortec's.
rich
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Chevy to the death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
I'd go for the vortec's, you can get new iron ones for around $500. you'll need a manifold for the vortec's.
rich

X2 on that. Also consider what kind of engine you're going to build. High compression screamer, forced induction boost monster (chances are not because of your budget idea), low rpm torquer, high rpm screamer, etc. Check out www.summitracing.com
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Do you know what the compression of your current engine is? Vortecs have a 64cc combustion chamber. You want to be carefull not to go too high if you want to stay on pump gas. If you are thinking about buying a set of heads, you can get Vortecs capable of .475 lift out of Jegs for $578. Those heads in a 350 with the comp xe262h (218 224 @.050 .462 .469 lift) and a performer RPM intake should put you around 350 hp with 9.5:1 compression.

Heads: $578
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM+Performance/749896/10002/-1

Cam and lifters: $160
http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/CL12-238-2/10002/-1

You will also need an intake: $180
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7116/10002/-1

And center bolt valve covers:$92
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/9415/10002/-1

And self aligning rockers:$56
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM+Performance/761650/10002/-1

These are prices out of jegs, but you may be able to save a few bucks on the intake and valve covers if you can find them used.

Based on the best I could find, I think it is 8.5:1 compression. If that is the case, the vortec heads would take it to ~9.8:1 which would be great for the vortecs and the cam mentioned. The lowest I found that it could be was ~7.9:1 which would give you 9:1 with the Vortecs. That would still work well.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 05-19-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM

well, junk yard says 50 bucks each, and I did reply to the guy with double hump heads for 400. Ill offer him 300, because, thats all I have. As far as intake, what should I get?

I hear about the Performer RPM.

Will the double hump heads+performer RPM, and what cam do I need?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Many pick-a-part and even most traditional junkyards have heads for flat prices. If you want the best street head for your dollar, go Vortec. Double hump heads were pretty good by 1970 standards, but Vortecs will offer much more potential without sacrificing torque.

Add in the fact that (depending on the cam) you can get away with as much as 9.5:1 on 87 octane, use less ignition lead, pollute less, and lower your cholesterol, its a no-brainer.

Many times people complain about the .470" lift max on vortecs, or the fact that you have to buy an intake, but I don't really much care. For a couple hundred you can buy the springs/retainers for .550" lift (and if you're using an aftermarket cam, you would need springs anyway). Intakes are cheap, even if you have a brand new intake, sell it and buy a used Vortec intake.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you're only after 300hp you can use just about any head you find. I would shoot for 9:1 compression and the smallest cam you can use that will still get you to your goal (which depends on the rest of the combo). smaller cams work better on the streets, and if you only want 300hp you can build that thing using low cost parts and run it on 85 octane. I would go with the "double humps" if you can find a rebuilt set for around $250 or less- which shouldn't be hard. They aren't as good as Vortecs but are a little more budget friendly.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
If you're only after 300hp you can use just about any head you find. I would shoot for 9:1 compression and the smallest cam you can use that will still get you to your goal (which depends on the rest of the combo). smaller cams work better on the streets, and if you only want 300hp you can build that thing using low cost parts and run it on 85 octane. I would go with the "double humps" if you can find a rebuilt set for around $250 or less- which shouldn't be hard. They aren't as good as Vortecs but are a little more budget friendly.

Alright, so Im learning that Vortecs are the way to go, and since I see lots in the pick and pull, I think Ill go that route.

Now, Edelbrock has a vortec rpm intake (7116) thats in the price range. I guess all I need now is which cam?

What about pistons? I thought It would be a great idea to go ahead and boar .030 over while we were at the machine shop, so naturally I know Ill need new pistons. Wheres a good deal in that aspect? will a boar .030 over mate up to the vortecs?

one more question: whats a good year range and vehicle to pull the heads from?

I know so many questions, but thanks to everyones imput already. I just got back from a tranny shop and the guy kept talking about this and that, but he was running a alchol dirt track car, and really I couldnt get any applicable knowledge from him. So, YOUR ALL I GOT HOTRODDERS!

-Jay
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Good choice, Jay. Let's talk about the vehicle and its intended use. What car, and how are you going to use it? How about axle ratio, transmission, and what fuel you want to use?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
If you're only after 300hp you can use just about any head you find. I would go with the "double humps" if you can find a rebuilt set for around $250 or less- which shouldn't be hard. They aren't as good as Vortecs but are a little more budget friendly.
True, but if he's getting junkyard heads that are flat-rate pricing, why go with 1970 technology when he can have vortecs at the same price?

That same 300 hp can be had with less cam, less octane, and more future potential with Vortecs compared to the humps.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Good choice, Jay. Let's talk about the vehicle and its intended use. What car, and how are you going to use it? How about axle ratio, transmission, and what fuel you want to use?

Well, I have but 3 months till I head out to Iraq again, and I wanted to have a little fun before I left. As you can tell from my limited knowledge, building a hot rod is new to me.

I just got a 1974 C-10. It has a TH400, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Stock disk brakes. I want it to be a fun truck to drive to work on fridays and do burn outs in my shop parking lot, before going to track nights.

So, a good cruzer, but ready to tear up some road! Its a long bed, but I may junk the bed, just to lighten it up and put a posi in it.

So, I need a pavement killer for a few months! PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Oh, and about them vortec heads, thats what I have in my 1979 Monte Carlo, on a 350, and in my 05 Silverado... Totaly forgot. If all else fails, ill rob that engine for a while... not from the silverado!!! Wife will kill me!

-Jay

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.