What kind of compressor? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

oh, print out that page on the compressor and get the compressor at your local HF, they will match the internet price. that compressor is adaquate for what you need and being an oiled unit, will last for a long time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I am so confused my head is spinning. I was told elsewhere in this thread that my main concern should be the CFM of the compressor. The gun you said you were using was the same as the HF gun. But the compresssor you use is rated at 4.5 SCFM and the nozzle (at least at HF)says it needs 9.5 cfm.

What exactly is the CFM refering to, I know it's Cubic Feet per Minute but I'm really confused as to the relations ship between PSI and CFM.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the touch up gun I use is 4.0 CFM @ 40, that's what HF says anyway and my compressor system puts out 7.5 CFM. the larger gun I listed needs the 9.5 CFM but the compressor you listed should work fairly well, because it lists 7.2 CFM at 40 psi, that puts you approx 4 cfm or so less than required figuring 70 psi. CFM relates to the preassure in no way really, yes you could have a 200 psi pump but put out .2 SCFM, because essentially the spray gun is a controlled leak of air ( as is any type of air tool except a automatic nailer ), it needs a certin flow of air to maintain that operating preassure, if the pump provides less than the requirement of the tool ( in this case, paint gun ) the preassure will drop and drain the preassure fast because it can't keep up.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

The touch up gun will not work for heavy primers as the tip is too small but that gun with the 1.8 tip should work fine. Don't worry about CFM, I know I said earlier that was what you needed to be concerned about but I thought you needed to to do more than just spot spray some primer. That compressor should do just fine and will produce all the air you will need to spot spray but if you are talking about, for instance, a hood to be sprayed completely then you may find yourself waiting on the compressor to catch up, not much of a problem with primer but would be a disaster with paint.

This is the gun I was talking about, not on sale right now but it usually is for half price and probably will be again in a couple of days.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47016

Last edited by oldred; 09-20-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Thanks to all for your help. I'm on my way to Harbor Freight to pick up my new toys. Thanks for talking me into the 2k primer, I know it's the way to go now. This forum is fantastic!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Lincoln, I don't know if this has been mentioned but if you don't have one be sure and get a good respirator because those 2k primers can be some really nasty stuff. Harbor Freight has a large selection of compressors and guns and I am sure you will find something there, they will honor Internet sale prices if what you want is not on sale at the store. I forgot to ask what kind of 2k primer you are planing on and if it is epoxy for rust prevention then you probably will not need that big tip and a gun with a 1.4 should work ok plus it will allow you to spray some paint if you run into the need to do a few spots. Let us know how it works out
Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

REAL bad stuff

To add to oldred's very appropriate warning:

The 2K's have Isocyanates, and a minimum 1/2 face respirator must have charcoal filter elements.

This attachment (and others, in the forum) will give you more info then you will ever want to read about nasties in auto paints:

respirators and supplied air
Old 09-21-2006, 02:28 PM

All very good points and to be honest, someone had mentioned it earlier and I had actually forgotten! Please keep in mind that I am not going to be in a booth but in my driveway when I do spot painting. I'm not expecting to paint more than a couple of square feet at a time, in the open spaces. So with that in mind would something like this work? It doesn't say what the filters are but that it is both OSHA and NIOSH approved. Please go to http://homedepot.com/ and type or cut and paste Model 95122-00000 into search box.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

S/b Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln64
All very good points and to be honest, ....but that it is both OSHA and NIOSH approved. Please go to http://homedepot.com/ and type or cut and paste Model 95122-00000 into search box.
Lincoln,

It should be OK.

My preference is a North silicone 1/2 face respirator with N7500-1 cartridges. 3M has about the same thing.

Home Depot stuff often doesn't do all you need it to do.

If you have facial hair (beard, need a shave, etc), these are not effective - might as well not even have a mask - you need a hood then.

I bought my new one on eBAY for about $15 then 4 sets of cartridges from another eBay'er for a couple of bucks each. But then I also have a fresh air system, but for your small amount of painting, not worth $400 up.

And you thought it would be easy to just go out, buy a compressor and a spray gun and start shooting paint - these guys on this forum taught me my valuable lessons AFTER I had a respiratory problem .

Dave
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Lincoln,

And you thought it would be easy to just go out, buy a compressor and a spray gun and start shooting paint -
Dave
I THOUGHT I was going to get a couple of rattlecans and spray my primer! Thanks to you folks I may be able to get paint to actually stick to my car
Old 09-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last journal entry: Hauling it home from Dixie.
Last photo:

I got home from Portland, OR. Thursday night to find my Porter Cable oiless air compressor in many pieces on the floor. The motor was running okay but the piston, rod and cylinder were shrapnel along with some structural pieces cast into the motor housing. Best I can tell is the cylinder wall failed allowing the piston to fall free and beat everything in sight to a bloody pulp. I called PC Friday to find parts availability. They have parts but the damage is so severe that it will cost more to repair it than I paid for it and I can buy a new compressor for less than the repair. It's a year out of warranty so I was stuck with buying a new compressor.

I've went with a cast iron two stage unit this time. It is a bit bulkier than the old unit but runs much quieter. Best of all it is not oiless. I am going to piggy bank the old compressor tank with this new one and double my air supply.

My advice to anyone in the market for an air compressor is to stay away from oiless units.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Javelin, I hate to keep beating a dead horse as the old saying goes but there have been MANY posts about "piggy backing" a tank both recently and in the past. This is a total waste of time and can actually do more harm than good since it WILL NOT increase your compressor's ability to keep up with your tools! This is a very common myth and it is just that, a myth, your compressor's performance is a function of the amount of CFM produced by the pump/motor and contrary to popular belief the tank has nothing to do with it, the tank can not produce more air than the pump puts in. If you double your tank capacity you will only wind up with a compressor that cuts on/off fewer times but runs twice as long each time it does which can lead to overheating problems. The size of the tank is engineered to match the pump CFM and approximate demand and it's size is chosen to keep the on/off cycle rate within a predetermined time frame and it DOES NOT determine the amount of CFM produced. Some people will tell you that adding a bigger tank will increase run time but this makes no sense because you also increase recharge time so you gain nothing and if your compressor will not keep up you will find any extra time is offset by having to wait for the compressor to catch up.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.