what kind off car is this???????????? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin-Healey, That was kinda fun,any body else got one? It better be good ,Brians here.
DBM, I think you are wrong and need to look again, it is not an Austin-Healey, niether the 100, 100s, or the 3000. The A-H trunk lid goes nearly clear to the bottom tail of the car and the gas filler is up near the front left hand corner of the trunk lid. tail lights are wrong too. A-H also has a slanted rear door opening, not vertical. Tip-offs that it is the MGA are gas filler hole nearly even with rear of trunk lid opening, and the lid opening stops well short of rear of the car. Another tip-off is the large oval MGA emblem/engine vent opening in the front fender.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

What !!,You mean the jokes on me? When I saw it I was looking at a GTO ,this was behind it.I worked on one a long time ago and fell in love with it.I asked if it was a healy,he said yes,Now I gotta clear the weeds and get a real close look at everything.Just when you think you know something.......I'll get down to the bottom of this tomorrow. now it's really getting interesting. A mystery machine
Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Alberta Bud

Quote:
one guess per person but look at the taillight (well the shape of it),I'll tell ya what you guys are very very good.I cant tell you how many people thought my 48 ply was a williys .they look similar but are not the same......
My antique computer wont enlarge the pictures today,but it looks like an old MG or an Austin princess.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Austin Princess???? never heard of that ...I wish it wasnt raining out. I'd run over and get some realy good pics ...These are just the ones I took to show what it looked like when I found it...
Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
More for Less Racer

Just search Wikipedia for MGA, follow link to MGA club uk, you will find pics of the rear of the '61-62 MGA MkII, that tail light is MK II only, trunk lid shape is same, so is bumper mount and gas filler hole, and oval badge/vent opening on front fender body section between outer fender and hood.

Your pics are an MGA Mark II.

Healey's have round tail lights in the end of the fenders and on rear body deck. Door opening in pic isn't right for a Healey either.

Apparently yard owner doesn't have a clue or was hoping to make a sale. I learned a long time ago at swap meets to know what you are looking for, don't say what you are looking for, ask what does it fit, cause if you offer up what you want they will tell you that they have it, it fits your application, just to unload it on you.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Austin Princess???? never heard of that ...I wish it wasnt raining out. I'd run over and get some realy good pics ...These are just the ones I took to show what it looked like when I found it...
Raining? Where are you located at? It's 104 degrees today in CA and I'm about 20 miles or so from the wonderful California fires that we are having again. Skies are full of smoke. Do me a favor, send some of that rain to the west coast.
Ed
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Alberta Bud

Austin Princess

Quote:
The Austin Princess may not have been imported into the USA.I have seen two versions here.One is quite Rolls or Bentley looking,and is quite big for an Austin,leather and wood interior,well built cars.The second version is like an MGA,the fat fendered style,but a little bigger,like a cross between a XK120 Jag and an MG.Both were four cylinder standards,made about 1957-'58 I think.Only ever saw a few so don't know much about them.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

How about Austin Atlantic?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
Raining? Where are you located at? It's 104 degrees today in CA and I'm about 20 miles or so from the wonderful California fires that we are having again. Skies are full of smoke. Do me a favor, send some of that rain to the west coast.
Ed
How bout sum hot dogs? marshmellows? mabee some normal girls? Cheech been at it again makin the worlds biggest bong?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Looks like a Healey-Sprite but they didn't have trim in front of the doors like that.

The "big brute" moniker belongs to the 300 letter series Chryslers from the early 60's as far as I remember.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 AM

I seem to remember from 1974 an artical that called the healy the brute because of how over built it was ,but that was sooo long ago and I was only 14yrs old.I think Eric might be right about it being a MGA but the only taillights I saw were vertical not horizontal..the tail lights will eventualy give it away ...I went there yesterday..the only ID numbers I could find were on the lights "lucas" made in england.Its got disc brakes rack & pinion and the frame is as stout as I've ever seen the hole in the rear rt 1/4 is for gas(just above the taillight) It has an aluminun pumpkin(Differential) and the trim between the body and the rear fender is welting not moulding .....I couldnt find any tags or numbers but it's gonna be cool regardless like a "Cobra" I'm sure I could roll it over on its side by myself its light enough that'll fly with 302 in it and a stick (of coarse) but it would be nice to know the make and model I started with (I guess)Heres some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6549 (Small).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	40363   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6552 (Small).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	40364   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6543 (Small).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	40365   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6536 (Small).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	40366   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6540 (Small).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	40367  

Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 AM

I only paid $100.00for it ,and I figure the front suspension is worth twice thatand the rear end has gotta be worth 1,000.00 plus all the other odds and ends.thats a prretty good start for financing the build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6539 (Small).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	40368   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6537 (Small).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	40369  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM
More for Less Racer

Like I said, Wikipedia, then link to MGA club uk(united kingdom) then look at members cars pics for the 61-61 Mk II and you will find that rear end body pic that identically matches what you have found, right down to the tail light. That tail light was ONLY used on the 61-62 Mk II MGA and not the earlier Mk I versions of the car, so what you have found is somewhat rare, lower production numbers as popularity was starting to shift to the newer designs from Triumph, Healey, AC, and so MG came out with the MGB in 1963.... Earlier version MGA's had a vertical lense pod on the rear edge of the fender.

You will also see the oval opening in the front body section between the hood and the fender is for a Vent/diecast ornamental piece.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM

thanks again eric....members cars....thats were i messed up. it says only around 8000 made...can that be right? thats the car though

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-01-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM

That is an early '60s MG. They are sturdy little suckers. Any parts on the car that are in good shape and have a little rust are worth some money. Anything that is clearly stamped in OK to good condition is worth money. A lot of guys like to restore with original metal even if it needs a little TLC.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.