What kind of paint should I use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Flame Artist

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What kind of paint should I use?

I know this can be a heated debate but Im hoping for a farley strait forward answer, some of my customers wont there cars painted for pennies on the dollar so what would be the best choice for a good balance of quality and price for a BC/CC paint, Napas crossfire , PPGs Omni, Ext. Im pocking for info here if you cant tell so hit me. And so you know I almost always shoot PPGs DBC but sometimes its just not practicable to do so.

Rick.

Advertisement

Last edited by Centerline; 04-18-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I moved this post to it's own thread. You'll get more answers that way.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: metal finish

I used to use Omni and PPG. however it just wasnt working out the way i wanted it to. so i switched completly to dupont chromabase and there Nason line.. i havent had a problem with it yet.. i cant think of one job i did where the paint actually matched perfect with ppg... but i cant think of one time when the paint didnt match with dupont or nason. and the price seems to be cheaper.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

It may come down to WHAT you can get locally.

I have used the Nason myself with OK results. The Crossfire is OK too.
I shot Omni once and it is a deicent paint.

I understand your wanting a "cheap" paint system and unfortunetly,You get what you pay for.
As for a "cheap" clear,Check into Nason's Select Clear. I was really surprised at the quality for it's price.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

We've got a lot to choose from nowadays, Omni, Nason, Valspar all offer cheaper products that will work OK. But you need to select when to use them by color IMO- some colors don't cover very well and you end up spending more money trying to cover with the cheaper paint than if you'd bought premium color. Transtar, Matrix, Auto Body Master, Morton, etc.- there's many choices on clears and primers as well.

Southern Polyurethanes Inc. gets a big thumbs up on this board for primers and clears and limited colors- I've heard nothing but good about spi products and prices. I plan to try some of these products soon.

I've heard good and bad on Omni, Nason, and Valspar. I've used Omni on low buck projects over the past 6 years and have nothing bad to say other than some colors cover poorly, and I had some bad experiences when trying the SV clear.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Flame Artist

Last photo:

Hi all, first of all Id like to say Thanks for the quick responses.

Well heres why I was asking. I did a job this week for darn near nothing but mortgage was DUE so I did it, $800 for a complete including lots of minor bodywork it was a old dented up peeler if you know what I mean, and the color was RED of course $499 a gal in DBC so you see my dilemma, I went with Omni on this one and I was pleasantly surprised by the way the paint covered, 1 coat and it was red, lol. Didnt stop there but you get the idea.

Although I think Ill look into Duponts Chromabase line next time. If nothing else but because Omni has a stigma attached to it around here it seems.

Oh ya I veered from Napa because my truck was painted in crossfire 4 years ago and I think it lasted 2 maybe looked real bad like some cheap car lot repaint, clearcoat already started dusting off on the hood.

So well see how the Omni holds up on this one.

Rick.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Lookee here now

Well yeah quality and price we all fight with when trying to make a living at this stuff...

Saying that I am now using totally SPI products for primers and clears period..end of discussion..at those prices I do not feel that it can be beat..And great customer service..for colors I have to go elsewhere as the epoxy paints have limits as far as color..

Use good stuff and do good work..Your work speaks for you and I think it is good to have the kind of rep that if someone wants a good job on paint just head on over to wizzy's for it..

One of those lessons in life ..do it well and they come back..

OMT
Old 04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

Any comments on DeBeer paints?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

OK.
I use Chromabase for my vehicle job's unless otherwise spec'd.
BUT, It's not cheap either.No, It's not HOK price but it's considerable more than Nason. Which buy the way, Is a converted enamel (thanks Barry),So keep that in the back of your mind when using. It takes longer to flash and coverage is marginal at best so be prepaired for more coats depending on color.
Now,
Chromabase is an excellent paint for the $$$ and I highly recomend it.
As said, The SPI products a gaining alot of popularity and I will be using them shortly myself. Waiting on the pollen & bugs to subside for now.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

Could you guys elaborate a little on what colors you've had problems with in the cheaper brands? I think that would be extremely useful information for some of the newbies, like me, who are thinking about doing their own cars on the cheap.

Bee, you don't have to worry about the pollen or the bugs anymore.....they are all stuck in my paint! lol
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Last 2 colors I had problmes with covredge in the Omni paint was chery red metalic, and royal blue metalic........they took like 8 coats to cover.

However last I painted royal blue was with Nason, and it only took 5 coats....well more like 4 but I gave it an extra coat just to be sure.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

The only Omni I shot wasn't too bad but I didn't have enough to shoot a 3rd coat which IMO it needed but all in all it turned out good.
With the Nason, most of the light colors will require several to hide/complete well.
The Magenta over a black (yeah I know) took 4 wet coats to hide.
Light Green was the worst and took 6 if I rember right.
Light Blue took 4 to complete.
Dk.Blue Metalic covered great and looked good after 2 but I shot 3.
Their highest metalic Silver is NICE and depending on how many coats would determine how reflective it was. The more the duller it got.

Coverage depends on several things and it really comes down to what color primer or existing paint your shooting over and the pigment amount (color) so it's a matter of shooting and seeing. No magic here just painting.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:03 AM

Last photo:

Well, I'm surprised! lol I expected ya'll to say that red and silver caused the biggest headaches. Hadn't given much thought to blues or greens being a pain. Good info!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
The only Omni I shot wasn't too bad but I didn't have enough to shoot a 3rd coat which IMO it needed but all in all it turned out good.
With the Nason, most of the light colors will require several to hide/complete well.
The Magenta over a black (yeah I know) took 4 wet coats to hide.
Light Green was the worst and took 6 if I rember right.
Light Blue took 4 to complete.
Dk.Blue Metalic covered great and looked good after 2 but I shot 3.
Their highest metalic Silver is NICE and depending on how many coats would determine how reflective it was. The more the duller it got.

Coverage depends on several things and it really comes down to what color primer or existing paint your shooting over and the pigment amount (color) so it's a matter of shooting and seeing. No magic here just painting.
Their highest metalic Silver is NICE and depending on how many coats would determine how reflective it was. The more the duller it got. --

This is relative to all silvers and most metalics in general, what happens is the texture of the surface get's distorted with the more coats that are applied so the reflection get's distorted as well. For the best look from a fine grain metalic the surface needs to remain perfectly smooth/flat--IMO
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Thanks Bob. Yes that was obvious with the silver. I was making a sign for my father-in-law and using the silver for lettering and I quit on the 2nd coat with the first not hiding good. And man did it glitter.

Not to hijack or get into a metalic discussion but,
I have been advised by a couple of painters to shoot a coat of "air" after the metalic to make it lay down and it will produce a better finish,especially with a large flake.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.