Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What kind of power can I bolt on to my 1965 stock 383?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 03:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What kind of power can I bolt on to my 1965 stock 383?

I'm taking the heads in to the machine shop.

It's an original 1965 engine, and they ran leaded gas so unless I want to run additives all the time (ummm... no) I need to get hardened seats put in.

But besides being hot tanked and cleaned up I didn't really want to do anything else to the motor with too much cost. (I plan on building a 440 out of the car over the next six months then I'll use the 383 in my wifes car)

The motor has 50,000 original miles on it. And besides a bent pushrod looked to be in very good running condition (besides usual sitting problems like buildup and such) after I ripped the top end off.

Mirror finish on the piston walls, no scoring. The cam still looks in very good condition with no scoring of anykind that I can see either(although I don't have it out)

So I was thinking a four barrel carb and intake, a nice air filter, headers and exhaust would do me nicely to open up whatever power the motor has in it.

Will a stock 383 engine with only these enhancements put out decent power?

How much of an increase do you think I'm looking at?

I know absolutely ZERO about Mopars, how they act, etc... Any common mechanical quirks or settings I should know about?

Do you know of a low priced addition that would really be worth putting into the block/heads before I have it together?

I really don't want to get into any pistonwork or anything, especially since they look to be in such good condition by looking at the cylinder walls.

But any suggestions would be nice. Especially as far as what type of carbuerator and intake manifold I should get for a 383.