Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   what kind of rearend am i looking for (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-kind-rearend-am-i-looking-228709.html)

gaurdian101 01-22-2013 12:56 PM

what kind of rearend am i looking for

I got this 78 Buick regal gbody car has the 7.5 in it just blew up thought it would.....but now looking for a new rear end i want a 9 inch or a 8.5 but have no idea of what car to go look at for a new used rearend......have some idea's about some cars but around here very few junk yards my way......or if you know the lengths or diagrams of different rear ends i can look at would be most helpful thanks....

NEW INTERIORS 01-22-2013 01:02 PM

This might help you..Rear End Widths

AutoGear 01-22-2013 01:39 PM

ZILDIJAN4LIFE did a Ford 8.8 install in his G Body I think. I remember there being a lengthy thread on here about it

cobalt327 01-22-2013 01:51 PM

Here's a few more rearend widths.

techinspector1 01-22-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaurdian101 (Post 1637645)
I got this 78 Buick regal gbody car has the 7.5 in it just blew up thought it would.....but now looking for a new rear end i want a 9 inch or a 8.5 but have no idea of what car to go look at for a new used rearend......have some idea's about some cars but around here very few junk yards my way......or if you know the lengths or diagrams of different rear ends i can look at would be most helpful thanks....

If you're an experienced fabricator, any Ford 8.8" or 9" will work. The trick is to get the control arm mounting brackets positioned correctly. If they're not spot-on, you will be breaking other parts. The other concern is warping the housing from welding heat, resulting in eating bearings.

If you have no experience doing this, I strongly urge you to purchase an 8.8" or 9" housing from one of the professional shops and fill it with your choice of pieces.
Currie Enterprises Rear End Sample GM A and G Body

big gear head 01-22-2013 02:26 PM

Doesn't anybody use periods at the end of a sentence anymore?

You can buy a bolt in 9 inch Ford housing and axle package from Moser, Currie and several other places. There is a company that makes a controll arm kit that allows you to bolt in a FOX Mustang 8.8 rear end after transfering the spring perches from the G body rear end. The Buick GN, T Type and a few G body Olds 442s had 8.5 rear ends that are very good for the G body cars, but these are rare and not cheap. Moser makes a bolt in 12 bolt for the G body, but it's also not cheap.

As far as fitting a junk yard rear end into the G body, the 9 inch Ford and 8 3/4 Chrysler rear ends are about all you can use becasue they have a mild steel housing that you can weld the upper controll arm eyes on. Most other rear ends have a cast iron center that you can't weld the eyes on. The G body rear end is 58 inches wide, which is narrower than just about any other rear end out there. If you are going to use something from the junk yard you need to be ready to narrow it or live with the tires sticking out the sides.