What Kind Of Reliable Car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 01:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Kind Of Reliable Car

So i have had some pretty good advice from this page and so i am going to ask a question for my friend in need of help

Sorry this is long but i like telling stories so sorry to the people with short attention spands.

So accually this is his girlfriends car but since they live together they both share the car. They own a 94 ford tempo and they has somewhat good luck with it. It has been through a lot

She bought it first for 1500 and with that it had a fresh rebuilt engine.

The first incident was a front collision accedent which they replaced the radiator front end a fender bumper and all this cost them about 1000

A year later (She can't drive on ice very well) She turns a left hand corner on an icy night and doesn't make it and the passenger side tire runs into the curb at 15mph bending the frame runing a strut and the baring. Cause of this was also to believe bald tires (i blame driver more but eh...)

So my friend calls me and tells me whats going on and he tells me the auto shop that he took it to would charge him 600 to fix most of the stuff and also buy 2 new tires for the front
so at the time (this is before i knew the frame was bent) thought that wasn't too bad (a little pricy) I suggested to him maybe the car wasn't worth it to put the money into but he thought the car was still a deal considering that the engine was still new and now the radiator and some other things.

So they drove (i am from MN) From minnesota st paul to wisconson with the car like that and he calls me when he is over there and tells me white smoke is coming from the engine. He took it to a mechanic and he said it may be a head gasket has blown and would charge him 1000 dallars. So I went to wisconson to go check on his car (in my recently purchised 93 mitsubishi eclipse which if anyone remembers my previous form what kind of car should i buy (I have to say that i just love the car!!)!) back to the story
He wanted me to look at the car because he didn't have the 1000 dallars after his previous fix bill. I looked at his car engine and non of the signs of a head gasket being blown was there. Radiator fluid was clean and level and other stuff that i checked. I took it for a drive and there wasn't any smoke but i noticed that the alignment of the wheels was really off. I took it on the highway and no smoke. I pulled the car over and looked at the engine and it looked clean
HOWEVER the alignment really bothered me and i was right. The driver side (new) tire was completely bald on one side. Looking at both tires they were really out of alignment. What he saw was the tire smoke and not the engine smoke.

So I caught him in his kind of lies because he didn't tell me that the frame was bent which after confronting him about this problem he said the mechanic shop did tell him that and told him it would fall out of allignment again if the frame wasn't fixed (but didn't tell him how much it would cost to get the frame fixed)

Second he said that he took it to a mechanic shop and he looked at it and said it was for sure the head gasket later getting out of him that he never took the car to the shop but more went over to the shop and asked him what it would cause that problem.

So the final question is after all of that is what should he do with the car?

It has a new rebuilt engine in it and now front suspension peaces. He doesn't want to junk it but i suspect that straightening the frame is going to cost more then the cars worth.

I have never been fond of tempos or fords in general because of cheepness of the parts and work and reliablility but that is me. What would you recomend for a car that is reliable and cheep and can take accidents every so often?

I am thinking Volvo but i want other opinions first

Also they don't like SUV so think college hippy like

Thanks for your answers and if you have made it this far thank you for your attention spand
I needed to vent this out to someone.
If you have other stories like this add it on

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Public Transportation,bus,train,taxi.That car is a danger to them and others on the road.If the frame is bent bad enough for the alignment to be so far out of whack that the tires are smoking.Then Drivers Ed is next on the list.No offense but some people do not need to drive.This may very well be a good case.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
I have never been fond of tempos or fords in general because of cheepness of the parts and work and reliablility but that is me. What would you recomend for a car that is reliable and cheep and can take accidents every so often?
Ditto on the Drivers Ed!!!! Sell the car for whatever they can get and look at a good used Toyota. As far as accidents, a car can only take so much, but for dependability you can't beat a Toyota. But with any car you have to take care of it and put some money into it. Treat it good and it will treat you good.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

So just to tell you after i told him it wasn't the engine, he was ready to drive it home till i told him to park it.

Quote:
Treat it good and it will treat you good.

So the guy did do oil changes every so often and treated his car well you might say

I am going to bring up a more general question. Now i would like to consider my self "good" with cars because i love cars and hot rods and import and almost any type of car and i find them facinating

Does anyone else out there feel sick to their stomic when they hear people say "my dad takes care of my car. I just put gas in"?

Do you think that there should be something out there that teaches people about matenince of cars? Is there and i just haven't seens the schools for them?

In my opinion i believe that when you take a driver ed cource that they should have at least half of the class devoted to car mantenince. There are too many people out there driving with their oil light on or check engine light.

My friend wants to learn about matenince but has no where to go and i am teaching him slowly but still there should be a better way of teaching him.

I partly blame this on the Auto manufactures by designing their cars too hard to work on. They are putting batteries in place so the adverage person can't jumpstart their car if they want to

again just venting
Old 12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Toyota or Honda for cheap, reliable transportation.

I run my 95 Accord pretty hard. 210,000 miles, original 2.2L engine and automatic trans. Overall the car has held together exceptionally considering the mileage.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I say pay to have it hauled off and go buy a Camry, but what does Tempo's and Eclipses have to do with hotrods?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.