What Kind Of Welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Last journal entry: Cowl Panel RUST!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Kind Of Welder

Im going to begin some work on my mustang which will consist of a new radiator support and front apron as well as shaving the door handles of my mustang and im planning on renting a welder for a weekend to complete this job. i was wondering what kind of welder should i rent for this kind of job.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM

Me and my dad are currently building a 69 camaro and we have a lincoln mig welder that works great. How much work are you planning on doing to the car?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Last wiki edit: First paint job Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Might be worth getting a gas MIG welder.
How are the Mustangs floor pan and cowl? If they need repair also (most do) then by the time you rent you will be about equal to just getting one.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 PM

Last journal entry: Cowl Panel RUST!
Last photo:

Thanks Restomod, after seeing your post i checked the prices of a gas mig welder and its about the same price as if i rented a welder for 30 days so im better off just buying the mig welder and keeping it for future projects.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Restomod
Might be worth getting a gas MIG welder.

To prevent a little confusion here when you go looking for that welder remember ALL MIG welders use gas! There is no such thing as a gas-less MIG welder M(metal) I(inert) G(gas). A flux core welder is not a MIG and should NEVER be referred to as MIG so when you go looking for one your choices will be a MIG welder (best choice) or a Flux core welder, also sometimes called "Innershield" or "self Shielding". The advantage of the MIG, and it is a big advantage, is that it will be much easier to weld thin material like body parts without burning through and warping plus the weld will be a LOT cleaner with less spatter to clean up. The advantages of Flux core are no gas to mess with and the ability to weld outdoors or other drafty areas that would contaminate the gas on a MIG weld and cause major problems, I would recommend the flux core only if MIG is not practical for this reason. You also will have a choice of gas to use if you go with a MIG welder, straight CO2 or 75/25 Argon CO2 mix with the 75/25 (also called C25) being by far the best choice and well worth the extra money. While welding body parts with straight CO2 is certainly better than using a flux core welder it tends to burn through more so than 75/25 and leaves more spatter to clean up. When shopping for that welder you will have some choices to make and what you choose will make a huge difference in how easy or difficult this project will be.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Don't know what your budget is but sometimes you can puck up a used Miller Matic 210 for under $900. Runs on 220V. They go new for about $1500.

I started out with a Lincoln Powermig 200 (200 amp top end) and really liked it. Had it about 5 years then wanted a spoolgun and the Lincoln required a expensive circuit board on top of the spoolgun price (about $500 for my Miller 210A welder).

I picked up a alnost new Miller 210, bought the spoolgun (plugs right in) and now have the best of both worlds. The spoolgun is probably advertised for aluminum more than anything but I use it to run .025 steel wire (for thin sheetmetal/body panels) while the main spool has .035 in it.

In any case I'd recommend 220V if you have the power and minimum 180-200-210 amp capability.

Hobart, Miller, Lincoln are all good brands. I'd stay away from no-name brands, harbor freight, and like already mentioned, flux core only rigs.

Be aware that this is a slippery slope you are on. Next is a plasma cutter and then a tig machine. Been there, done that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.