Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   what kind of welder? (

ratop slacker 09-25-2005 03:07 PM

what kind of welder?
so's im thinking of gettin a mig welder. what is the best size for cuttin, z'ing, or just a bunch of stuff to do to a car u kno...

Centerline 09-25-2005 04:16 PM

You won't be cutting with a MIG welder. For that you need a plasma cutter.

ratop slacker 09-25-2005 05:15 PM

sory, i just ment choping and suff, did't mean 2 say cutting. but i guess what i'm trying to say is, what kind of mig welders work for you guys?

Henry Highrise 09-25-2005 05:32 PM

Well you won't be chopping with a mig welder either. Tell us what your welding needs are...Are you going to use it for body work? Or do you need something to work on frames with? Or both.

ratop slacker 09-25-2005 06:15 PM

i just ment reattaching it by chopping. you can use a mig for that right? but anyway, i would prabably be doing both bodywork and work on the frame.

OneMoreTime 09-25-2005 07:57 PM

Miller or Lincoln SP175 or equivalent..get the goodone as you will using this puppy for years..then get yourself a whole boxfull of metal squares..we call these coupons and when you can get those welded and do a good job then you may weld non-critical stuff on a car..

Practice practice practice and take a course at the local vo-tech school..helps a lot..


Centerline 09-25-2005 07:58 PM

For that work most any of the smaller MIGs will do just fine. For basic auto work I would look for one that can weld up to 1/4" steel just in case you ever need to do frame work.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.