Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What is the latest flat tappet break-in procedure?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'd be remiss not to fess up and say I am a factor in the grossly premature cam failure that recently befell me.
I was following recommended oil additives and oil types that have proven to a degree effective in mitigating the excessive high heat and pressures that we our bump ups put on first gen small block technology. The fact that the work around did not help me was screaming I screwed up somewhere and I really needed to know where to prevent a repeat performance.
I found it.
I got me a set of hi-perf 2.02 double hump heads that came off a 1968 Corvette. I took the heads to a guy with a rep for doing great refurbs. He did a great job. He stripped the heads bear, clean up the seats, did the coating thing and replaced the valves and springs with Summit Racing stainless steel valves with dual springs and the OEM rockers with aluminum rockers that have needle bearing fulcrum and roller tips.
I came across an article last night that warned the dual springs on the top end must be matched with a roller cam system on the bottom end. The flat tappet cam system cannot take the beatings coming down the push rods at it.
It was then I recognized the validity of the retro-roller solution.
Do I regret my composite tappet fix? Not at all. I will admit that I would have opted for the roller cam solution if I was not so torqued at the moment. My twisted head (the one that lives on top of my neck) gave me the motivation to pay for what I knew to be a better solution.
Your input helped me quickly find the errors of my ways.
Thanks for your help.
Later,
Bob