What lenth Coil Over Springs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What lenth Coil Over Springs?

Here is my question. I have a 1967 Camaro big block. The coil over springs on the front are Moroso trick springs, I think number 47140. The car is setting way to low for me. The sub frame is only 7" off the ground at the firewall mounts. Summit racing and Moroso are both trying to come up with the right spring for me but I wanted to get my hotrodders friends opinion also. With the springs that are on the car, ( Moroso Trick Springs ) The distance between the upper and lower arm is 11". The weight limit is only about 270 pd. Now Heidts sell a spring that is 11" long and 550 pd. for a big block. My thought is this, If the compressed Moroso spring is 11" and the Heidts spring is 11" will this really raise the front at all? If anyone out there with a 1 gen. Camaro can tell me what springs they have I could really use the help. I want to run my 215 /70 /15 on the front but now can only fit 215 /70/14 without rubbing. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

I made a real rookie mistake. Maybe it is good for some others out there may think the same thing. I thought that coil over springs meant that the spring went over the shock. That is why my thread makes no sense. Any other site guys would of jumped at the chance to point out my mistake, but not Hotrodders. That is why I like this site !! Thanks Friends
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

If you are correct about the springs you have, they are rated at 240lbs per inch. Are you saying that the spring height while sitting at ride height is 11"? If that is the case, you then need to know what the "free" or uninstalled height of the spring is. With that info you can figure out how much weight the spring is supporting at ride height. Once you know that, you can begin to compare springs.

For example, if your current springs have a 13" free height, and are now sitting at 11" at ride height, they are supporting 240 pounds times 2 for the two inches they are compressed, which means they are supporting 480 pounds at ride height (I'll bet your springs are compressed more than two inches,but this makes for a clearer example). If you buy 550 pound springs that have a free height of 11", they will compress just a little under an inch to support the 480 pounds, so your car will be lower than it is now. Not the direction you want to go.

If you like the way your car rides now, but don't like the height, you just need taller 240 pound springs. If you want to raise it an inch, get a spring about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller and you will be there. There is a leverage ratio between the spring mounting height and the height at the wheel, that is why you need only a 1/2 to 3/4 inch taller spring to raise the car one inch.

Hope this helps, but you need to get under the car at ride height and take some careful measurements and go from there. If you know the front axle weight, the unsprung weight of one front corner, and the leverage ratio of the suspension, the proper spring for your intended use of the car can easily be calculated.

Let me know if you need more info...

Andy
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

Andy
I was saying the spring length was 11" with weight of car on them. I had already order springs from Moog before reading your thread to me. You did hit it right on the head. I took the trick springs, ( Moroso 47140 - 240 pds. per inch) off the car. They measured 18 1/4" free standing height. I replaced them with a set of Moog, ( MOG-638 BB springs rated at 328#) Free standing height was 14". When I placed them on the car I gained 2 1/8" at the same place I measured before starting the replacement. That places the front of the car right were I wanted it to be. I took a guess on what springs to try. But now that I read your thread I know why my guess worked. Your reply is very helpful and easy to understand. I hope if anyone else has the same problem that they look back at your tread. Thank Chuck
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Glad it worked out. If you find the ride is too stiff with the 328lb springs, you can always get taller but softer springs to keep the ride height and the ride.

Andy

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.