What limits the steering on a MII IFS? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What limits the steering on a MII IFS?

Trying to finish up my chassis and the wheels turn way too far in both directions. I've seen travel limiting bolts before but this is my first MII setup. Do I need to weld a stop on? I've looked at tons of pics online and don't really see anything on the MII installs I've found.

Thanks,

Richard

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

There are internal stops in the steering rack.

Is your suspension a custom width, or the same as a stock Mustang II?

Andy
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Well, it's on my '36 Chevy sedan so I guess that's considered custom. The rack that's on it is just for mock-up. I'll see how it acts when I put the power rack on it. As it is now, the wheels turn far enough to hit the lower shock mount.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Photos are worth lots of words. If you are using a Mustang/Pinto R&P, you might have more travel then you want or need. The Dodge Omni manual R&P on my '31 has almost the opposite situation as it is almost too limited - but it might be an option for you.

Dave W
Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6
Well, it's on my '36 Chevy sedan so I guess that's considered custom. The rack that's on it is just for mock-up. I'll see how it acts when I put the power rack on it. As it is now, the wheels turn far enough to hit the lower shock mount.
What I was really asking if it is stock Mustang II width or not...

Andy
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosborn
What I was really asking if it is stock Mustang II width or not...

Andy

Sorry. Yes, it's a stock Ford unit.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

I can't visualize how the tire would interfere with the traditional mounting of an MII shock. Considering it resides inside the coil spring. Then again I don't have any experience with OEM stamped arms, only tubular. On an air bag set-up the shock is mounted on the rear side of the control arm so I could see it interfering in this situation.

Quote:
Did you set toe with the moch up rack? Or at least eyeball it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Photos are worth lots of words. If you are using a Mustang/Pinto R&P, you might have more travel then you want or need. The Dodge Omni manual R&P on my '31 has almost the opposite situation as it is almost too limited - but it might be an option for you.

Dave W

The Omni is a rear steer so it won't work on the MII. I agree though, a couple pics would be worth a thousand words.

-J
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Wheels are off right now but I'll post a pic when there're back on. It's an air ride setup with tubular uppers and lowers. I really just wondered where the stops were in the system since I almost never see any discussion about them. I'm putting a later model (Fox-body) power Mustang rack in it. I'll try to get it installed next week and see how it behaves.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

I realize this is an old thread but in wrapping a few loose ends up this weekend, I realized I never resolved this issue. With the thousands of MII IFS equipped street rods out there, I CAN'T be the only one who's run into this (can I?). I've got the actual rack that I'm using in there now ('90 Mustang GT). I've attached a pic. I've actually got to replace the braided SS brake line on the other side because it got smashed between the wheel and the shock bolt.

I suppose I could shorten the tie rods until the rack will hit it's internal stops before my car hits it's physical limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4300328.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	65058  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Well, as aosborn indicated previously, there are internal stops. What I didn't realize is that an "off-the-shelf" rack doesn't come with any of those stops installed! I pirated two off of my old rack and it cured my issue on one side and almost cured it on the other side. I'll pick up a pack of the limit clips at the Ford dealership this afternoon.

For future searchers, the part # is N804842-S and they are 6.5mm thick and are sold in a pack of 4. There are apparently some thicker ones available but I don't have the part numbers for them. They are very easy to install, btw.

Pic isn't mine, found it online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-clips.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	65061  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Sorry. Yes, it's a stock Ford unit.
What he's looking for is whether the new xmember is wider then stock MII which is probably the case for your chevy. My 31 chevy xmember is 4" wider then stock to fit the frame and match the wheelbase. Uses Faimont tie rods that are 2" wider then MII.
I ran my brake lines from the front of the frame and avoided any pinching and could use 18" lines. Stock A arms.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Well, as aosborn indicated previously, there are internal stops. What I didn't realize is that an "off-the-shelf" rack doesn't come with any of those stops installed! I pirated two off of my old rack and it cured my issue on one side and almost cured it on the other side. I'll pick up a pack of the limit clips at the Ford dealership this afternoon.

For future searchers, the part # is N804842-S and they are 6.5mm thick and are sold in a pack of 4. There are apparently some thicker ones available but I don't have the part numbers for them. They are very easy to install, btw.

Pic isn't mine, found it online.
Hey Richard,

Make sure your rack has been properly centered, I had this problem with my Maverick. I *thought* I'd remembered to do this during the build, but apparently not, because after driving a few miles I realized that the car had an excellent turn radius to the right but not at all to the left. There are prolly more "correct" ways to do this, but I ended up checking the distance from the rear edge of the front tire to the outer frame rail at both full lock positions and one was 1 1/2" more that the other...

Russ

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.