Hot Rod Forum banner

What is this liquid coming out of my tailpipes?

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  ratlover 
#1 ·
So here's the story...I've been trying to do the initial timing on my car all day.My timing used to be set on 14*(race shop set it there.)From doing some research I've come to the conclusion that my initial timing should be set to 8-10*.I set it at 8* and now I have all this water junk coming out of my tail pipes..I mean alot.I have a foot across puddle under each exhaust.What is this???It doesn't smell like straight gas??What is it?what is wrong with my setup.Is the carb set to rich? sbc 350-edelbrock performer 600,rams horn manifold-cast iron heads-weiand aluminum intake.Can someone give me some observations?thanks bm

#6 ·
No converter and an H pipe....then you could have a coolant leak... I can't really understand why you would have water coming out your tail pipe(s) just because you lowered the timing a few degrees.

67 nova huh (?).....despite my username I must admit I like that year nova. Good luck...probably something simple

#7 ·
water

Doc here :pimp:

Let's get some info here.

First You indicate the engine is new Correct? Heads too?
  • How much run time has it got?
  • Did it at anytime overheat?
  • How's your oil looking, milky white or clean?
  • How does it run? hard starting? Miss at idle, road speeds?
  • Crank like it's over-advanced on cold starts?
  • Using water or boiling over?
All of these point to but are not limited to a bad head gasket, or misaligned, or damaged intake manifold gasket.

Does it blow white puffy smoke out the back all the time?

Fill in the blanks and we 'll see if we can narrow it down for you...

Doc :pimp:

#8 ·
Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. Perhaps the change in timing has something to do with it. If you are loosing coolant from the engine, then that is the source. Other wise, i would suspect it is normal. Any changes in Humidiity in your area? Temp change?

I have seen cars pour water out the tailpipe that didnt have any engine leaks, it was buiild up in the muffllers from short trips. The engine never got hot enough to vaporize the water buiild up in the muffler.

#9 ·
Water is a normal by-product of combustion. If you are spending a good bit of time idling, it may be condensing in your exhaust system & spilling out the tailpipes. Kinda like Grandma's old 455 Bonneville did because she never pressed the gas pedal more than 1/8" down.

Taste a fresh drop of the water. If it's sweet, spit it out, it's coolant. If not, it's probably just condensation.

#10 · (Edited)
Doc,
I'm sorry....this is not a new motor,the car is new to me.
I will answer your questions in order.
1.the motor is a 94 gm crate motor with 25,000 miles on it.
2.I had a temp problem for a while,it overheated twice
3.The oil is clean.nothing abnormal at all
4.it runs good,it idles alittle high..900 rpm
5.it starts right up
6.the fluid level stays the same.doesn't boil over
7.No white puffy smoke at all..never

I appreciate your thoughts and anyone else who wants to chime in.thanks bm

curly5759,
There was a huge temperature change today.Its been baking here for the last 5 days(90-96 degrees) and today it was 70 degrees.Something else I forgot to mention.....I just got 2 new flowmaster 40 series put on yesterday.I had the dynomax turbos.They were rotten.This probably doesn't have anything to do with my problem.Thought I should mention it though. bm

#11 ·
batman09 said:
now I have all this water junk coming out of my tail pipes..I mean alot.I have a foot across puddle under each exhaust.What is this???It doesn't smell like straight gas??What is it?what is wrong with my setup.Is the carb set to rich?thanks bm

Curly5759,

I agree with you fully on the normal byproduct of combustion, and since I live about 25 miles east of Batman, I can attest to the fact the temperatures have soured the last 7 days here. triple digits with low humidity....where it's usually 68-75 normally..

But unless he's exaggerating a bit on the foot across puddle on each pipe, That seems a lot to be just normal condensation, unless he's got both muffler's Full of water.....

On normal condensation days here, I get a usual puddle under the pipes about the size of a silver dollar...and mild white clouds until it warms up. but never foot wide puddles..

My Vote's For a gasket somewhere gone south..

Doc

#13 ·
timing change

batman09 said:
Doc,
This just started happening today when I started messing with the timing.At 14* of initial timing this doesn't occur??Thats why i'm so puzzled?

I can't see that much change in water in a mild change of timing ... although.....ya never know...

Run it...Idle is one thing, driveabilty is another ...observe everything it does...If it don't heat up, doesn't detonate, boil over or run doggie... than it's all good...Long idles Do build up water...

Doc :pimp:

#14 ·
i have had puddles that big under my tail pipe when i start up my 66 early inthe morning... it normaly dont do it but every once and awhile i get a bunch. the puddle tho is more of a run (1/2 inch to an inch by a foot) if the puddle is like this i would say its fine.

#15 ·
yeah thats it.The puddle is more like a run...its about 1/16-1/8" deep by 1 foot... kind of a spray.I guess puddle was the wrong word.It was idleing a long time as I was setting the timing.I will run it tomorrow when I get home from work and tell you guys more.Thanks bm

#17 ·
I think the "foot across puddle" comment threw me as well.

Any vehicle as mentioned is proned to spew a little thin white vapor/spit some water out the tail pipe, with humidity changes.

If you mix your antifreeze as recommended, that "puddle" would have a noticable sweet smell, if it were a faulty gasket.

Your probably in good shape.

#18 ·
here's the latest,
NO MORE PUDDLE!!!!I set my initial timing to 8*.Hokked up full manifold vacuum.Readjusted my idle to 700 rpm's and its purring like a kitten!!!!!No more overheating....no headgasket or intake leak!!!!Temp sits right at 190*.I'm a happy camper!!!!!!Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!ENCLOED IS A PICTURE OF MY LITTLE BLACK BEAUTY!!!!

Attachments

#21 ·
thats correct.the mechanical advance is already built into the distributor...you can change it if you want(different springs)I left mine alone and its fine.The car has so much more power with the manifold vacuum vs the ported vacuum.If your vehicle is smog exempt,I highly recommend manifold vacuum!here's another pic

Attachments

#22 ·
Well actually it isn't but we don't have smog testing...I just hate to get into it again...I spent some time getting the timing set up using timed vacuum, think I carried a 1/2" wrench and an allen wrench with me for a month...:)...ah, its been a while...time to do something different. That second picture looks good as well, 67 for the nova was a good year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.