What a little test will show you... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
What a little test will show you...

Today I got to a little project I am doing for a customer of my brothers. It is painting the charcoal color on the centers of some rechromed Buick "Road wheels" from a mid sixties Riv.

The color formula is only available in an aerosol from Semour paints and I thought I would keep it at that. This is the type of thing that I would commonly spray out the color from the aerosol can and then match that in a base coat or SS and bla bla bla. I didn't want to get into that on this job.

Just tape it off, scuff it and shoot this "Cast Blast" over an aerosol etch primer. I didn't want a primer out of a gun for a few reasons, the big build up at the tape line and the mess being I was just going to do a wheel a night being they are such a pain to mask. But I had second thoughts about the etch, did I really need it. This Semour paint comes with high recommendations, is that 1K etch doing to be any improvment?

So I pulled a chrome bumper out from behind the garage and did a little test. I laid two strips of masking tape and scuffed the chrome with a red scotch brite pad just as I plan on the wheels. I sprayed one strip of tape with the Rubber Seal etch primer that the Winzer supplier had given me to try. Just holding a piece of cardboard over it to keep overspray off the other tape. Then painted the whole thing with the Semour Cast Blast.

I took off to the store and came back to give it a test, the finger nail scratch test. The Cast Blast came right off like nothing! But I COULDN'T take off anything where the etch primer was!

There was nothing more to think about, I used the primer.
Just a few minutes prep and I learned something and feel much better about this project.

This darn etch primer is pretty awsome for an aerosol and may be the ticket for some smaller projects of yours. It is available at the Medallionrefinish.com site under part number RS-517. And while you are there they make the best weld thru primer I have ever used. It is called an "Etch weld" primer and holds on MUCH better than any other weld thru I have tried. You know how that zinc rich primer has no adhesion at all, this stuff is different and really holds on pretty good. Not as good as a "real primer" but MUCH better than other weld thru "coatings". By the way, I did a rust test with that primer against a couple of other etch aerosols, a S-w and the etch that I used on the wheels. I sprayed a strip of sheet metal in three sections and then did a cross hatch scratch. The RS-512 held up the best showing hardly any rust after many, many months (maybe a year, I forgot to mark it with a date) outside in the weather.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	16594  

Advertisement

Last edited by MARTINSR; 12-03-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Last photo:

Brian, I have been very impressed with the Rubber Seal products I have seen being used. The guys in our club rave about the clear. I kinda wish I had not used the PPG 2002 becuase it is so freakin hard. I know it is going to be not so forgiving about rock chips.

Vince
Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
I am dying to test the 2K epoxy primer and urethane clear in an aerosol can! I ran into my Winzer guy yesterday at the hardware store and he promised me I should have my sample cans this week. I'll keep you all posted on their performance.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.