what to look for when buying Plasma cutter - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turn off the air and try to cut, If you get a spark from the tip to the material as you hold the torch about 1/16" from the piece and pull the trigger. Pilot arc..

The model of unit determines if it can weld. Models 40-50 etc. Are p-cutters only. Models 320-420-520 etc. are welder capable. 50 amp P-cutter, 150 amp DC Tig, 120 amp Arc in one machine..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Randy can you post a pic of the two tips so we can see the difference...The ones that came with the cutter are concave ,I guess so the center of the tip dont actually touch the workpiece but the edge will make contact to get everything started...
Sorry I didn't get back sooner... On some the tip's may be different,, But on mine... I think the tip is the same just the Shield over the tip is different..Here's the drag shield for mine..

One the tip is inside the shield,The other is sticking pass...You can drag a non-drag one, But it doesn't last as long,, Plus it will stick sometimes..And yes water will mess up your tip...

and here's the non drag shield..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cyberweld_2268_81856128.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	105330   Click image for larger version

Name:	shoppinga.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	105338  
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Mine will not lite up if the tip is bad or you have no air.. If everything is ready to go.. It will light up as soon as I pull the triger, Now if it's not close to the steel.. It won't stay lit very long.. And once I'm done cutting with it.. The air will keep running for a little while to cool down the tip..
Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

so basicly with the drag tip the shield keeps the tip from touching the work and the shield makes the contact....I think I got it...
and with the pilot arc the arc is internal like a pilot light in a water heater and the tip doesnt have to touch the workpiece to fire up....
I want to thank everyone for all the help making me understand how these work and the different types...
I could see right away how handy this is going to be for making all sorts of brackets I used my cutting torches to make everything when I installed my rearend and again when I installed the air bag suspension. I must have spent days grinding the rough edges left from the torch and they never did look quite right but everything worked so I just went on to something else now I may have to go backwards once again and do it all over ,it shouldnt take long at all..
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Heres some videos I found to be very interesting...After the first vid there will be more ... thanks Timothale...
Plasma-Tracer
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM

Ok,so I've been playing around with this p cutter Im amazed at how quick it burns spot welds I can burn through 1 layer or 2 layers of sheetmetal and leave a layer it all depends on the amperage and air pressure,,,,So Now I have a question for the guys that use them all the time....

question:when cutting sheetmetal should the machine be set at the lowest amperage that cuts whats needed or should it be set all the way up with the air at max too? How do you know where to set the amps and air at..
I saw a vid that says the air pressure should be at 70 psi ...sounds like a lot of pressure, I can cut with about half that and just to burn one layer of sheetmetal all I need is 13 amps and 15-20 psi....can you have too much air and not enough amps or viceaversa...
Today I will cut up the old roof skin I'm replacing and Im going to cut off all the lips on all four sides so I can store the metal for future use...I'll be making a guide that runs along the edge and also keeps the tip from touching...these are some long 5-6' cuts and I dont really want to warp it so I'm figuring the lowest amps that cut (25 A) and about 30 psi
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

I keep my air around 45 psi most of the time and amps at 20-25 for general sheet metal work. Then turn it up for heavy steel plate. I have never had to use over 60 psi air, even in the 1/2" or thicker.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 AM

so what determines how smooth the sides of a cut come out in the thicker steel ? lets say 3/8 -1/2"
Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Cutting speed has a lot to do with quality of cut and amount of slag on the back side. Experience

I bought the software for a p-cutting table setup.. Plan on building the table this winter. Have a spare computer. Adapt the torch to fit and Ebay has complete stepper motor setups very reasonable. This spring I hope to have it up and running.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

I leave my internal regulator at 60psi all the time. I do turn down the amperage for sheet metal but I don't recall having an amp reading on the gauge. For thin sheetmetal, you should have the air and amperage set high enough to walk along at a steady pace. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to cut 6 ft. The higher air pressure clears the curf and cools the metal quickly and avoids warping. Go too slow and it will warp...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM

That makes a lot of sense you guys ....I may be to old to keep up with this bad boy ....I'll tell ya what, I'm getting good at these spot welds now. Today I went around and drilled out all the holes I made with a 5/16 drill just to pretty them up ,it only took a min and they look they were drilled...I'm totally floored with this thing....It makes me sick though ,thinkling about all the money I could have saved (and made) if I got one five years ago when I was thinking about it...
I found one spot weld I missed and I had the drill in my hand but insted of drilling one dang hole I disconnected the air,got the P cutter, hooked it all up and blew out the hole.I had to laugh at myself, It sure didnt take long for me to get spoiled...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (12-17-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Just pulled the trigger on a TIG welder !!
I've been watching the Eastwood 200 AC/DC for a while waiting for the price to drop even more than the 50 bucks it was reduced a while back. Well today they marked it down another $50. $800 and FREE shipping (gotta be FRUGAL)to get introduced to TIG...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a TIG welder !!
I've been watching the Eastwood 200 AC/DC for a while waiting for the price to drop even more than the 50 bucks it was reduced a while back. Well today they marked it down another $50. $800 and FREE shipping (gotta be FRUGAL)to get introduced to TIG...
Now I don't feel so bad about it getting warm here this weekend. I have to get even with you somehow..... I am Jealouse!

John
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 AM

It seems to me I saw a small tig for 450.00 somewhere they also sold a plasma cutter it was green...
Yeah ,woodwards sent me an e mail ....something to compare the Eastwood to anyway..Metal Working Clamps by Woodward Fab
It shows a vice just scroll down a bit...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 12-19-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Now I don't feel so bad about it getting warm here this weekend. I have to get even with you somehow..... I am Jealouse!

John
Warm????? I was sweating by 2 pm and had to take off my thremal shirt and work the rest of the day in a tee shirt.......welding with short sleeves I'll bet ya'll feel sorry for me, doncha...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.