Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   what to look for when buying Plasma cutter (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-look-when-buying-plasma-cutter-259474.html)

deadbodyman 12-07-2013 06:30 AM

what to look for when buying Plasma cutter

I want/need a plasma cutter but know absolutely nothing about them so I ask for help getting the the best bang for the buck..400-500.00 budget
How does this one look and what features do I need to have...
Plasma Cutter-40 Amp - Rich Tool Systems

killeratrod 12-07-2013 07:57 AM

here read this it may help you decide .

Miller - How To Select And Operate A Hand-Held Plasma Cutter

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-plasma-cutter

https://www.rebelmouse.com/plasmacutterreviews/

Lizer 12-07-2013 08:01 AM

you will LOVE having a plasma cutter, I would love one too but I am sure I could put that money to much better use somewhere else given all the more I'd be using a plasma cutter...right now at least. We used them in a bodyworking class and all we needed was the 220 power and a source of good clean air.

John long 12-07-2013 08:05 AM

I know you are on a budget but if you are going to be using it for your business I would at least look into the Hobart 40 amp machine. Northern Tool has it on sale frequently for 795 dollars and it is a serviceable unit thatnyou can get parts for.

My Lotus LT5000D was 409 from Amazon and it has been great .......but, what about when it breaks. I am going to be 69 next August. The may be the last car it has to build.

Here is a web site that has a good price and lots of info on the one I bought. I see they show it out of stock which could raise questions. At least the posted it before they took some ones's order.

John

NEW INTERIORS 12-07-2013 08:19 AM

I bought the Miller Spectrum 375 and have nothing but good to say about it..Yes it's more then you wanted to spend.. But well worth the money and you can get parts just about anywhere's.. Like Mr.John said,Getting parts when it is down is going to be a problem..

It's a tool that will make your day so much better, And you will really know it if something happens to it.. Don't know how I did without it.. One day I was down to my last tip's and didn't know it.. Took a few days to get some in..:pain: Then I realised just how much I need this tool..

This machine can be ran on 110 or 220.. I run mine on 220..
Here's the one I bought..WelderSource - Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Cutter with 20FT XT30C Torch

One thing to keep in mind.. How easy is it to get new tip's for it...

John long 12-07-2013 08:26 AM

BTW I miss spelled Lotos earlier. Realised it when I did a search. One other thing to consider is the availability of consumibles. The tips do have to be replaced occasionally. I am still on the tip that came with my machine but good tips are solid copper and not cheap. You want to make sure they are and will be available for what ever you buy.

John

S10xGN 12-07-2013 08:29 AM

I wish I'd have bought a good one, I have an HF unit that pretty much works when it wants to. It'll randomly quit, sometimes if I turn it off and back on it works, sometimes not. You get what you pay for...

Russ

timothale 12-07-2013 08:40 AM

plasma info

Here's a repost of my comments from the other day
You MUST have DRY air for a plasma. I have an ESAB supplier demo that cost me 2 K a few years ago and a little bit of moisture did $ 100 damage in 2 seconds. I started building the propane bottle filled with kitty litter that some one here on HR showed a couple years ago.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pics...er-207499.html Pics of my Homemade Air Dryer (not mine, the OP picts)
then I have a motor guard filter then the plastic cartridge that changes color when it needs replacing. I need to save up and buy a new shop air compressor.Mine is about 30 years old. and mabe buy a refrigerated dryer.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 12-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1959746)
you will LOVE having a plasma cutter, I would love one too but I am sure I could put that money to much better use somewhere else given all the more I'd be using a plasma cutter...right now at least. We used them in a bodyworking class and all we needed was the 220 power and a source of good clean air.

A plasma cutter obsoletes many of the high dollar manual machines.

I have dozens of sheet metal tools that have been unused, in their drawers, since I bought my first p-cutter back in the eighties..

I was building utility/pickup boxes for a golf cart/rv dealer. At the time, I went from making two or three per day, to eight a day when I got the p-cutter going.

Patterns can be made from hardboard and little finish work.

Now the best part.. My original p-cutter was a large machine. But it would only cut 1/4" parts at best.. Cost big bucks. Name brand..

China haters,, quit reading right here..

About ten years ago I was doing my usual bargain hunting on E-pay and saw a China p-cutter. Bid was very low, so as a whim, I bid a very low price and forgot about it.
About seven days later I got a notice that I had won the bid. $174.00. Paid and ordered the unit..

Package arrived at the shop about a week later.. Kinda small.. On opening the box. There was a blue sheet metal box with a few misc parts..

Assembled the external pieces and fired it up.

I was immediately impressed... The thing was POWERFUL, quiet, lightweight.

How long would it last?? It has now been in shop use over ten years. Only had to replace the on/off switch and the cutting head/handle. Because of the different workers mis-using it.. Still works like a champ. I recently retired it to home use to live out its retirement..

Bought the next size larger, same manufacturer as Eastwood etc at less than half of their price.. Works great..
Consumables are available everywhere.

MARTINSR 12-07-2013 10:43 AM

It's so true about the parts. My MIG is a rebranded Century sold thru SnapOn. When the gun gave up I had a hell of a time coming up with one and actually had to modify one from another welder to work.

Brian

deadbodyman 12-07-2013 12:54 PM

Ok,so a 40 amp machine with ez to find reuseables...would it be better to have the onboard compressor,I do have some good air at the shop but I'd be confined to doing all my cutting there so I'm thinking an onboard compressor would be best..unless they're pron to breakdowns.I'm sure once I start using it I'll never want to take out the battery sawzall again ..I'm lazy and easily spoiled...I figure just what I spent in sawzall blades,cutoff wheels and drill bits alone this year would be enough to cover the machine...

John long 12-07-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1960362)
Ok,so a 40 amp machine with ez to find reuseables...would it be better to have the onboard compressor,I do have some good air at the shop but I'd be confined to doing all my cutting there so I'm thinking an onboard compressor would be best..unless they're pron to breakdowns.I'm sure once I start using it I'll never want to take out the battery sawzall again ..I'm lazy and easily spoiled...I figure just what I spent in sawzall blades,cutoff wheels and drill bits alone this year would be enough to cover the machine...

Congratulations! You now know everything we do.:thumbup:

John

deadbodyman 12-08-2013 07:58 AM

yeah, just hanging out with you guys brings my intelligence level up a notch
I believe I'm now at notch one...
Whats funny is I've been doing this work all my life and almost every day I feel theres more I dont know than what I do know but thanks to HR and all of you that gap is closing.....Yes, I'm still an idiot, but a high functioning idiot now and dam proud to be a member...
You guys'll let anyone in.......Thanks

Lizer 12-08-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1961874)
yeah, just hanging out with you guys brings my intelligence level up a notch
I believe I'm now at notch one...
Whats funny is I've been doing this work all my life and almost every day I feel theres more I dont know than what I do know but thanks to HR and all of you that gap is closing.....Yes, I'm still an idiot, but a high functioning idiot now and dam proud to be a member...
You guys'll let anyone in.......Thanks

I'd hate to see where this puts me then!

NEW INTERIORS 12-08-2013 08:03 AM

I was going to buy one with a compressor built into it, But changed my mind... More that can go wrong with it.. Plus I already had shop air.. I wouldn't get the built in air if you have air already..Just a thought..;)